Three Month Old Head Tilts One Way

the_rhodora

Reaction score
My baby is three month old and his head is always tilted one way when holding upright. It is not a very obvious tilt, maybe just off by 30 degrees. I heard that some babies had to go through surgeries or wear neck braces for correction and I am concerned mine will go through the same thing. Has anyone had similar problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Is it torticollis? My oldest had this. We had to do physio. Basically a muscle is too tight and they cant turn their heads one way. The physio is to loosen up that muscle. Its not fun to do the physio but you do it because you have to. She did end up getting a flat side of her head because she would sleep on one side. Get it checked asap the sooner the physio the easier and quicker it goes. Any questions please feel free to ask :)

We've seen different doctors and they offered conflicting information as to which side's muscle is too tight. >< He tilts his head to the right, so presumably his right side muscle is too tight right? We have been massaging his neck ourselves as home per doctor's advice. I want to know whether this is too late to correct since he is already 3 months old. How old was your baby when you corrected it?

Yes it would be the right side. He probably cant turn his head to the left very well, if at all?

No its not to late dont worry! My girl wasn't caught till id say 5 months? You would never know she ever had it. She has full range
Make sure you go to different drs, throw out the word torticollis. I was sent to a physio clinic in our hospital, didnt cost a dime. Its a more common thing than you think. It really didnt take long to resolve either.

Of course! Any other questions let me know :)

T would only turn his head left. We have been seeing a physical therapist and she shows us different exercises to do at home so we only have to go to therapy every few weeks. We were told lots and lots of tummy time to strengthen the muscle and to reposition his head whenever possible to face right. He did have a little flat spot too, but it's barely there now. We have another check up in three weeks to make sure the flat spot is all the way gone and his range is where it should be but the doctor and physical therapist have been pleased with his progress. I think what benefited him most is the tummy time. It made his little neck really strong. He does not like tummy time but we just got down on the floor and played with him to make it more bearable. We were told it is best to catch it by 6 months for it to be corrected without too much intervention. I took my son in specifically to have it monitored because I am a worrier but I would at least mention it at the next appointment assuming you have one in the near future.

My oldest had torticollis. It was diagnosed at his 4 month check up and we started PT when he was 5 months. He also developed a subtle flat spot because of it and had to wear a collar while we were home, along with his daily stretches. Definitely try to push to get a physical therapy evaluation, the sooner the better.

IMG_3804.jpg

Thank you ladies, I will definitely keep doing massages and tummy time!

Mine had some tightness and tended to turn her head only in one direction at first (just after birth). It's very common when they've been stuck in a weird position just at the end of pregnancy or during birth and get some tension in their necks and upper backs. I saw an osteopath for an appointment when she was a few weeks old who could feel the tightness and did some soft tissue work and that sorted it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->