throwing things - advice needed

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
need a little advice..

Rhys has started throwing things when he trantrums.

He did it today at my mums house and she put him against the wall (which is what we do at home) and then she asked him to pick the thing up that he had thrown. he refused to and he went on screaming for another half an hour. refusing to pick up the thing and being put against the wall. eventually he picked it up and he was praised and all was forgotten about

now it was my mums house, her rules and her punishments. which i respect.

about 20minutes ago, rhys threw the remote across the room. i put him against the wall and i picked up the remote and put it back on the table. when rhys was ready he came over for a cuddle and said sorry. he was praised and all was forgotten about.

im just wondering... was i right to pick up the remote or should i have made rhys do it?

I would say that you did well as long as you explained to him that he was against the wall because he threw the remote. Make sure that the time he is put against the wall is consistent and don't let him come to you, but you go to get him instead after his time is over. Explain again why he was put against the wall and ask him for a sorry. After he says sorry, you can cuddle.

P.s. I am not a mummy (yet) but I see a lot of 'Super Nanny' :p

he has to stay at the wall for 1 minute. we have a timer that i set each time, when it buzzes he can come say sorry but he usually stays there in a mood for a while before coming for a cuddle

Raising a kid is all about consistency and persistence.
It seems like you are doing the right thing here, so don't worry.
I would probably do the same.

:)

i personally would of made him pick the remote up himself but sounds a good idea what your doing with the timer etc :D

I would say that you did well as long as you explained to him that he was against the wall because he threw the remote. Make sure that the time he is put against the wall is consistent and don't let him come to you, but you go to get him instead after his time is over. Explain again why he was put against the wall and ask him for a sorry. After he says sorry, you can cuddle.

P.s. I am not a mummy (yet) but I see a lot of 'Super Nanny' :p

I agree. I don't think it matters that you picked it up (especially if it's something you might want to use while he's being punished) as the standing against the wall is his punishment, rather than picking up what he has thrown - as long as he knows that's what he's being punished for x

thanks for your advice!

personally i think my mum went OTT with making Rhys pick up what he had thrown. he just got more upset each time she put him back against the wall for not picking it up.

i think in time, when hes older, i will make him pick it up but i think hes just too young to understand.

being against the wall for 1 minute seems punish enough, not half an hour of extra tantrums over picking it up again.....

I Make kacy pick things up if she throws it but she is older

Ewan is three and he is sat on the stairs if he throws anything or tantrums for 3 minutes. i use the timer on the cooker.
Personally If it was Ewan i would have asked him to pick up the remote once his time was up and if he didnt pick it up he would be back on the stairs for another 3 minutes.
We use a reward chart too, so his little space man goes down if he is put ont he stairs.
you can print free ones out from the internet.

Chloe has just started this whenever she doesnt get her own way, shes only two n a bit but she refuses to say sorry at all and just stands there trying to stare me out!!! I tried the naughty step with a timer she just turned it into a game, but im persevering (just) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->