thrush?

liz1985

Reaction score
My dd has had thrush pretty much since birth. I was on anti biotics for 2 weeks straight after birth. Then again at 17 days pp for a week, so pretty much for the whole first month. They gave dd nystan (sp?) Drops which didnt work at all. I then got thrush as well. I had a 10 day course of tablets I cant remember name of plus daktarin gel, and dd got daktarin oral gel as well. Midwife said it was prob taking a while to clear because of the antibiotics and because we were passing it to each other. Well ive been clear for a couple of weeks now and no more anti biotics, but dds is not clearing up at all. I know it can take a while but its not improving at all. Is this normal? Ds never had it so not sure whats normal. Luckily its causing no problems with feeding upto now.

Currently battling thrush here too though caught it in the early stages so hoping to clear it up quickly - but I know how easily it takes hold. My biggest concern right now is how it's affecting his latch as he's uncomfortable, my daughter got into bad habits with her latch because of it.

I had it with DD - it was diagnosed at 2 weeks pp but it was then clear she'd had it from very early on. I was on antibiotics for first 2 weeks after birth due to section. I was also very weak and immune system highly compromised due to hellp syndrome. It took 5 weeks to get rid of thrush in our case, despite us both being treated simultaneously. We had daktarin gel and cream and I had some tablets in the end too (something like flucozone - sorry might be spelt wrong).

Other things we're trying to do:

White vinegar (lactation consultant recommended this) - a solution of one cup water with one tablespoon white vinegar. Dab onto nipples after a feed with cotton wool pad then allow to air dry. You can put white vinegar in wash with your bras too

Go topless - moisture helps fungus breed so if there's times in the day you can go topless for a bit to give your boobs some air this is helpful. I try to take some naps topless lying on a soft towel to stop sheets getting soaked in milk! Change breast pads frequently to avoid moisture build up too

No antibacterial handwash/gel - like antibiotics this also kills the good bacteria that fights fungus. You can't avoid antibiotics obviously if you need them, but you can avoid antibacterial washes. Just use hot water instead.

Cut down sugar - the hardest one to do imo when you have a newborn. You can't survive by drinking loads of caffeine if bf, so sugar rush is what keeps me going! I admit to not adhering to the no sugar advice - I just can't do it!

Wash towels and clothes on hot wash, don't share towels, boil any dummies for 20 mins rather than quick blast in steriliser.

Thank you thats really helpful. Hope you get sorted soon as well.

I have also been battling thrush since she was 3 weeks. I had gestational diabetes and praying this isn't a sign of real diabetes because of the whole sugar thing. Also, she eats well so I'm not too worried and I'm not in pain. But she's on nytisin and I'm on my myistat. I also just finished a 3 day dose of antibiotic meds. Good luck to both of you!! IV been debating to try that violet stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->