Thrush :(

daddiesgift

Mom of Two
Reaction score
Baby was recently diagnosed with thrush now my nipples have it. Please tell me what works to get rid of it! Everything I read makes it seem we are doomed to have it forever! It's making breastfeeding so uncomfortable :cry:

We had it and were prescribed daktarin cream for me and an oral solution to put in babies mouth - can't remember what it was called but baby hated it so we didn't use it for long. If this doesn't work ask for Fluconazole tablets. They are stronger and should kill the infection.

Biggest non medication things that helped me get rid of it and keep it from recurring was washing and drying nipples after every feed (a pain but it really helped), changing breast pads really frequently and having a few nights sleeping without a bra on (put a muslin or something underneath you though so you don't leak all over the bed!). I had been wearing a nursing bra 24 hrs a day and I think the constant warm, moist atmosphere of the pads contributed to me getting thrush (that plus antibiotics they made me have in labour :-( )

Hope you get rid of it soon its not nice!

I used regular over the counter thrush cream for me and the mouth drops for baby. Just had to wipe the nipples with a dry cloth before the next feed to get rid of any residue. In between applications I would wash my nipples with diluted vinegar (just using a cotton wool ball) and let them air dry. I read somewhere that would help, but I don't know how much difference it made since we were using the cream too. Be topless as much as possible because your bra helps keep the site warm and moist which yeast loves.

Watch out for baby's bum too, if she's got oral thrush she might get a thrush nappy rash next.

Edit: Oh, and don't use lanolin or rub breastmilk on the nipples like you are normally advised for sore nipples. That suits the thrush really well and can keep it alive. Best to leave those things until you are both cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->