THumb/finger sucking

LynnieH

Reaction score
Frankie sucks her two middle fingers on her right hand. I wondered if anyone had any advice to stop her doing this. She wears mittens or socks at night and sleeps fine without suckling. I've tried a dummy but she hates them. I am just worried as I now this can cause problems with teeth later o. Can anyone help?

i dont think this can cause problems with teeth hun i think a dummy is more pf a risk than a finger. Adele sucked her thumb since she was in teh incibator and still does it almost 5 years on :dohh: ive tried everything to stop her doing it but nothing works and her teeth are fine.

on the other hand Colby took a dummy from the first night and now 1 year on ive notticed a slight gap between her 2 front teeth, not sure if this is caused by the dummy or not but shes still got more teeth to come in so the gap might close up if that makes sence

good luck hun
xxxxxxx

I would worry about it tbh at her age hun, it wont be doing her any harm yet, whilst thumb sucking can cause the front teeth to be pushed forward, even if this happens to her baby teeth its not an indication that her main teeth will go that way too. Its only really a concern if your child is still tumb/finger sucking once they hit the age of about five when their adult teeth come though. At the moment is still just a natural baby instinct that you will prob find she grows out of before it becomes an issue. At least with finger sucking you dont have to worry about picking up dropped dummies.

I had horrendous teeth though 5 years of braces , top and bottom (including headgear) and 12 extractions finally sorted that, but that was without finger sucking. I would hate her to get into a habit that would cause or make such problems worse. My nephew sucks his fnger and his teeth stick out at right angles to his face, mine did this. My brother says they can't afford braces as they are now given orthodontic treatment as a result of means testing and they cost too much.

sorry to be nosey but why dont they get free dental care? i thught everyone who has a child under 16 years old who recieves child benefit is entitle to free dental care and free prescriptions :wacko::wacko:

Apparently orthodontic treatment is deemed as cosmetic and unessential. Don't ask me? I know all mine was free.

i just assumed it was all part of dental care, sorry i asked

i just dont get it, my sister just got braces fitted at the hospital and it didnt cost them anything :wacko: i just assumed if your kid is under 16 then they get it free :dohh: i hope mine dont need them either would need to get a bank loan for it :lol:

I know what you mean, my mum has her teeth pushed out at the front due to sucking her thumb as a child, but really at Frankies age its not an issue, most infants suck on something for comfort, if you really worried try getting a taggy blanket that she can suck on instead, but I wouldnt worry untill she is a few years older, if she is still doing it then, as least then she is old enough for you to try some techniques to get her to stop.

Weestar perhaps the rules are differnt in Scotland, it did used to be free here too, but with a huge shortage of NHS dentists we are bloody stuggling with basic dental treatment, with a lot of people having to go private whether they like it or not.

Adeles taggy blanket gets rubbed along her nose as shes sucking her thumb its crazy :rofl: mind you she only does this when shes tired but before when she was about 1-2 if we were going out we had to take her winnie the pooh duvet with us as it was the only label she liked at the time :lol:

I have one of those comforter toys. Its a rabbit witha knot in the ear. I am trying to get her to suck on that instead! At least she's not doing it at night. I have those sleepsuits with the fold over cuffs!

Weestar perhaps the rules are differnt in Scotland, it did used to be free here too, but with a huge shortage of NHS dentists we are bloody stuggling with basic dental treatment, with a lot of people having to go private whether they like it or not.

up here is the same, many dental practacies are going private, they would rather have private patients. In our old village we lived the nearest dentist was 45 mins away that would accept NHS patients. Im just glad when we moved their is an NHS dentist just down the hill from us so we are very lucky that way

Charlie has been refered for Braces, she doesnt have to pay...

xx

my sister stays in cheshire and they are the same they dont have to pay for braces or glasses for that matter aswell.

Because me and my OH recieve so much tax credits we are entitle to free dental care prscriptions and a pair of nhs glasses (every 2 years) untill Colby is 16 years old, or unless out income increases.

(sorry for taking over your thread lynnie, its just i was really confussed how some people have to pay for their kids braces as i dont know anyone else who has had to pay for these when their children are under 16 years old :wacko:

Maddie sucks her thumb but i'd rather that than a dummy tbh....

Think they would do it not matter how much you tried to stop them!
xxx

Oh and i had the sameas Lynnie and mine was free ....

My sister needs braces and is struggling to find a NHS dentist as hers has gone privet ... Thinks its discusting!

xxx

they have changed it depending if the teeth are really bad and need bracers then they will do it for free if not really you have to pay

*sorry off topic lol*

i have had awful toothache for teh past week and recently my own dentist has gone private, and quite frankly i grudge paying for dental treatment i couldnt afford, so i today sat in teh dental hospital for 3 hours only to be given a 5 day course of antibiotics and told if they dont work its an extractrion next!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->