Thyroid problems

Justme

Reaction score
Has anyone got thyroid problems and in turn found it difficult to get pregnant?
Ive not been too well lately and one of my blood tests has shown up something regarding my thyroid -have an appointment tomorrow and have to have a repeat blood test.My mind is just ticking over and thinking the worst and worrying that I will find it hard to get pregnant.Im thinking it maybe underactive thyroid.x

Has anyone got thyroid problems and in turn found it difficult to get pregnant?
Ive not been too well lately and one of my blood tests has shown up something regarding my thyroid -have an appointment tomorrow and have to have a repeat blood test.My mind is just ticking over and thinking the worst and worrying that I will find it hard to get pregnant.Im thinking it maybe underactive thyroid.x

I have hypothyrodism (underactive thyroid) and was diagnosed after I had my LO.

My Dr has said that it could affect my fertility and will possibly lead to irregular cycles. It can also increase the chances of miscarriage so my Dr is keeping a close eye on me. it's taken a year so far to get my dose somewhere near right. I've got another blood test in 2 weeks and I'll find out if I need to change my dose again.

The good things are that you've been tested in the first place, and your Dr will be able to help you to get back on track with it. My advice, up your exercise levels if you can - I try to get out for a walk everyday with my LO or the dog to clear my head. it's a brisk walk too! Keep your mind active, and eat healthily. Try a Vit B12 supplement too as this really helped me :thumbup:

I would also say I've seen plenty of ladies on here who have been pregnant and have had healthy babies while having thyroid problems, and they are very vigilent of it when you are pregnant so the chances of it having an adverse effect on baby are very slim once it's diagnosed.

Good luck with it all and I hope you feel better soon. I really wasn't well to start with but very quickly felt better physically and eventually mentally too. :thumbup:

I have an underactive thyroid which is controlled by medication. It took 2 years to get pregnant with my first child but didnt even have to try for number 2 and 3. I have polycystic ovary syndrome too which i think caused the delay in conception with my first child rather than my thyroid. Good luckx

Once your levels are "normal" and under control it makes no difference to fertility to be honest. When it's not under control then you can have issues. I have had a underactive thyroid and have had for about 5/6 years now, i've been on 125mg thyroxine for quite sometime. It did take a year or so to get stable though. I got pregnant in the first month of trying, and i hadn't got age on my side either!. Don't google that's the worse thing you can do, i learnt that years ago!. Try not to worry your Doc i'm sure will help you regards to medication if required.

Edited to say, when you get pregnant you will be under consultant led care. I only ever saw her once though and i had only 3 blood test over 9 months. My levels never changed throughout pregnancy and after.

Thanks for your replies ladies.:flower:

i found out my thryroid levels are low and i have 2 kids one is 4yrs old n the other is 21/2 i was wondering if it could effect chances of concieving. we have been tryin for 13months..

Yes (the short answer).

In preparation for IVF, I had a number of blood tests/scans, etc., and it was realised that I had an underactive thyroid (in January), so was put on meds; in the month prior to our planned start to IVF, my bloods were done again, and my medication was increased. I had a perfect 28 day cycle and became pregnant naturally. I am now 18wks! I had an m/c two years ago and two possible chemical pregnancies, and both my GP and I are convinced that the thyroid was the key.

It is possible that since your previous pregnancies, your thyroid function has decreased and as normally, women aren't tested, you may have been borderline before, but time, etc., has made it more difficult for you to get pregnant. I am now tested every month, but the increased dose is at the right level for me and the baby, and am cautiously hopeful.

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"