• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tight chest, breathlessness

greenie

Reaction score
Hi guys
I feel like all i do is moan on here - but I guess that's partly what the forum is for?!?

I've had really bad morning sickness, am taking promethazine/phernagan which helps me keep food and drink down but I still feel very ill. I feel like I have flu like symptoms. I feel very breathless and stuggling to move around, I just feel terrible.

Has anyone else felt this rough, is it normal in pregnancy?

Thanks for any advice!

ps isn't it ironic that there are ads at the top of the page telling us how to get a flat stomach?!? I've never had a flatter stomach since I've been so sick!

Hi, you're not alone, I've been feeling the same as you describe all the way through this pregnancy so far, I'm taking the same medication as you mentioned and it does the same for me. I've actually never been on so much medication in my life as with this pregnancy. I just keep hoping that with each new day it'll ease, I'm still hoping and waiting for that day to come. Hope it starts to get easier for you too soon xx

edit: I forgot to mention that I'm also getting the tight chest and breathlessness, not sure what your cause may be but my Dr's are investigating a number of things with me, I'm not sure it's even pregnancy related in my case, so far it's been suggested I have a stomach ulcer or hiatus hernia and now I'm going to have my gallbladder scanned. So I can relate to the struggling to move around.

You're not alone. I just feel like I want to hybernate for the next few weeks until this all day everyday morning sickness and exhaustion disappear.

I definitely relate - I've been lucky enough not to have suffered too badly with morning sickness, but I've found it increasingly hard to catch my breath (even though I'm fairly fit) and have been feeling less than agile recently (DH tells me I've been groaning and sighing a lot around the house!), not to mention the exhaustion ...
Apparently congestion and hay-fever like symptoms may be due to inflamation of the membranes in the nasal cavities (caused by the increase in oestrogen) - sometimes called "pregnancy rhinitis".
Also the increase in progesterone can also cause shortness of breath as it may make your breathing faster and more shallow.
Apparently it's all supposed to get better around week 14 when the placenta takes over hormone production so the chemicals intended for your baby no longer have to swill round your whole body! Counting in weeks doesn't seem to make it go any faster though ... ;)
Having said all that, it's always worth talking to your GP or midwife if you're worried as it may be something altogether unconnected.
Good luck, and I hope you start to feel better soon!

I don't relate at all but I def. feel sorry for you girls!

I never got morning sick, but I did feel very breathless for 2 or 3 days, then I felt ok again.

Thanks for the replies. good to know i'm not alone, although I'm sorry you guys are suffering too.
I suffer from asthma and allergies at the best of times and it's just suddenly much worse, i feel as though my chest is blocked as well as my nose though this time!

I've got flu at the moment, and i must say it's the worse i've ever had it. For the past 4-5 days i've had a really sore throat, bunged up nose, aches and pains all over my body, constant migrane, feeling sick, no appetite, my whole mouth is covered in ulcers but the most annoying thing is not being able to breathe properly. I went to the doctors this morning and was given an inhaler, and antibiotics. I can't walk far without getting out of breath, and it's a real struggle to get upstairs. My chest is really wheezy and i just want to cry because i feel so poorly. I really just don't know what to do with myself. :( xx

I hear you! Everything is magnified during pregnancy I guess but it just feels so unfair doesn't it?!?! i hate that feeling of not knowing what to do with yourself. Last night I sat on the bathroom floor and cried solidly for half an hour whilst hubby hugged me.

Hi everybody,

I am new to any kind of these forums and I am 5 weeks pregnant. I am feeling as if I can't catch my breath and my chest is in a vise, almost like a panic attack.

I have already lost three pregnancies I have experienced this with the last one. Please someone tell me that they have experienced this and had a healthy baby in the end.

What can I do to alleviate this feeling

Thank you

PS Sorry to hitchike on this thread but I haven't learned how to start my own yet.

Hi hope2be. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is not going to harm your baby. I think its quite common to feel breathless at the beginning and then later on in pregnancy for different reasons. When I first wrote this post I felt like I had flu or was potentially anaemic. Which turned out to be common and nothing to worry about. Now I'm breathless because the babies press on my chest or blood vessels. Maybe get yourself checked for anaemIa if you feel faint or short of breath.
You also sound anxious and this would definitely contribute to these sensations. Try talking to someone about how you are feeling re this pregnancy and your concerns - I bet you will feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->