Time out ideas?

Mummy2109

Reaction score
I was chatting to my friend today about time out ideas and I said how I like to say time out for 2 minutes instead of a 'naughty' corner. I was actually a little horrified when she mentioned about how she dealt with her sons behaviour. I won't go too much into it but basically she shuts her son in his bedroom and holds the handle so he cant get out... Even if its dark coz apparently it makes him listen even tho he cries. I said maybe it scares him spec if its dark... I can't say I'd agree with this but who and how does time out work for your little one?

Woaaah, thats abit extreme in my opinion. We arent there yet, she still doesn't understand no :dohh: let alone the concept behind a time out. We have a step in our kitchen, this will be the time out step, eventually.....

It does seem a bit extreme but i guess if its the only way he will listen then maybe she's had to do it.

When we tried time outs (it didn't work well for us) i told him he had to go and sit on the bottom stair for 3 min. I didn't call it a naughty step and i can't remember really calling it time out either. It was just a case of taking him away from the situation.
I used to set the timer on my iPod and when the alarm went off i'd go and talk to him about why he'd been put there.

I can sort of understand holding the door shut in order to get him to stay in time out but I think leaving him in the dark is extreme. I also don't like the idea of using the bedroom for timeout. When we started time outs with Tiarnan we had a stool that he sat on facing the corner. He didn't do so hot staying in it so I sat behind him with my back to him during the time out. I used an egg timer at first and have now switched to the timer on the microwave. He has also progressed to standing in the corner and he is there for 3 minutes, about to be 4 minutes come Friday. With Cormac we have just started time outs and he has only had 2, both for hitting. We place him in the same corner as Tiarnan for 1 minute. At this point he turns around every 20 seconds but that is to be expected. I stand behind him and gently turn him back around. I mainly do this for Tiarnan's sake as I don't want him thinking that he is the only one who gets in trouble for things. I know some people won't agree with me putting my 17 month old in time out but I figure you have to start somewhere. :shrug:

We use the time out corner - tried the stairs but she loves stairs lol
I shouted at Harrie the other night n she took herself to sit in the corner lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->