Tips/Advice For BFing Success After Cesarean?

baby_bray

Reaction score
Hello all! :wave:

So I'm currently pregnant with DD #2 and currently scheduled for a C-section on the 11th @ 39+1 due to my stubborn little girl being breech despite *every* effort to get her to flip. I'll get one last chance on the OR table after my epidural before they make any incision, and if the version is successful they'll move me to a room and just induce me. While I still have my FX'd for a vaginal delivery, I'm also prepared and personally accepted that I will more than likely be having abdominal surgery...

DD #1 was induced due to pre-E vs. gestational hypertension and I had an amaaaaazing experience. She was a wonderful nurser from the get-go, even though she was a slow gainer at the beginning. I nursed/pumped/fed/nursed/pumped/fed for what seemed like forever. I wish I had started pumping earlier even if was just for a few minutes after nursing, earlier than I had, but it was a learning experience. I can't believe I was so scared of the pump!:haha:

Anyway, I just wanted to get some tips/advice for someone after a c-section. What sort of things helped you out? Things maybe you wish someone had told you, or warned you about? Struggles? Positions maybe?

Thanks in advance and hope this helps some other mommas out there too! :flower:

I've breastfed both babies after emergency sections and not had any trouble at all.
I prefer rugby ball hold due to large breasts but that might help with keeping pressure off the wound too. I also love my bf pillow which sits over where the scar is so I've never had pain from holding DD or DS to feed.

I relied on OH to lift the baby and hand her to me during the night for the first week or so with DD (DS was in neo natal for a while so a different case). Don't be afraid to ask for help in the hospital too as it's hard just lifting LO in and out of the cot in the first few days post surgery.

I have heard that some section babies are harder to get started with breastfeeding but both my babies basically crawled to the boob when doing skin to skin after! As it's your second baby you should be relaxed about feeding and know that it might take a wee while to perfect the latch, and persistence is key!

Fingers crossed you get the birth you hope for but well done on being prepared either way, I think that's a great attitude. X

Thank you cait! I'll be very lucky to have lots of family to enlist with lifting LO for the first couple weeks if needed and evening duty can be aaaaall hubby if need be :)
I hadn't thought of my BFing pillow pulling double duty as incisional support! Great advice Xxx

I second the pillow. It was indispensable for me. Good luck!

Oh yeah I didn't change a nappy for about two weeks either ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->