tips/experience/ideas on pain control during labor&delivery?

41plus66.6

Reaction score
hellooo to all. first time poster although i will admit to stalking the post to get some amazing information and tips:blush::haha:

well I am currently expecting my first lil girl on the 7th of march!
I am going into labor not knowing what to expect :shrug:

I am wanting to not have an epidural but open to any other ideas...

so let me hear em ladies!! what are some ideas/tips/or your own stories to deal with labor early on and then for dealing with it during the later stages.

thanks in advance:flower:

Hi & congratulations!
I used a TENS machine a few hours after my contractions started and continued to use it until I did a few pushes. I had planned on having a water birth, but there wasn't really time as I amazed myself by getting to 10cm dilated in just a few hours at home. When I was pushing I used a little gas and air - 2 puffs then a few pushes with each contraction. I found the TENS machine very useful, especially the boost button when I was contracting. The gas and air was helpful but it does make your mouth and lips feel very dry and can make you a bit light headed if you rely on it too much.
Good luck!

It really helped me to have my DH count through the contractions. It helped me focus and realize when it would be over.

I had a back to back labour. The thing that helped most was getting DH to rub my back very hard, in fact I was literally getting him to dig into my lower back with his fists that that helped! I used a TENS machine but it didn't do much once the contractions got going. I ended up with an epidural, although to be honest I don't think it was so much because of the level of pain, so much as the length of my labour. I had two nights of contractions before I was in 'established' labour so by the time I was 4 cms dialated I had not slept in 48 hours. I just didn't have the mental stamina to cope once the pain got bad becasue I was literally exhausted so the epidural was a godsend for me. However one thing I wish I had know was about gas and air - I was given it whilst I was waiting for the epidural, and it made me very sick, but I have since read that if you can persevere with it then the sickness sometimes wears off after about 20 minutes. If I had known that I might have given it a bit more of a shot, but as it was I just gave up on it becasuse it made me throw up badly! I think this time round, all being well, I will try to persevere through the sickness and see if it wears off before I go for an epidural again.

TENS machine? sorry if it's a stupid question but what is that?:blush:

I went into my first pregnancy with a really open mind about it all. I knew it would be painful, and I accepted that....long before I went into labor. I also knew what I did and didn't want to happen, and even tho I had a lot of curveballs thrown at me I still maintained my med-free birth. What helped me was knowing that I had complete support there, and being able to use certain things as tools. I only used gas for about an hour of labor and by the end of it, it was not helping but the mask really helped me focus on my breathing.

also, keeping the end in site really helped as well.

I had a back to back labour. The thing that helped most was getting DH to rub my back very hard, in fact I was literally getting him to dig into my lower back with his fists that that helped! I used a TENS machine but it didn't do much once the contractions got going. I ended up with an epidural, although to be honest I don't think it was so much because of the level of pain, so much as the length of my labour. I had two nights of contractions before I was in 'established' labour so by the time I was 4 cms dialated I had not slept in 48 hours. I just didn't have the mental stamina to cope once the pain got bad becasue I was literally exhausted so the epidural was a godsend for me. However one thing I wish I had know was about gas and air - I was given it whilst I was waiting for the epidural, and it made me very sick, but I have since read that if you can persevere with it then the sickness sometimes wears off after about 20 minutes. If I had known that I might have given it a bit more of a shot, but as it was I just gave up on it becasuse it made me throw up badly! I think this time round, all being well, I will try to persevere through the sickness and see if it wears off before I go for an epidural again.

wow, your labor sounded intense! I am hoping to go through it without an epidural since I have back problems as it is, but I guess getting one isn't too bad?

A TENS machine is a machine that sends electrical pulses to the body through pads that you stick on your skin. They are meant to affect the way that pain signals are sent to the brain and therefore reduce pain. It is like 'mini' electric shocks, like a kind of tingling feeling. YOu have control over how strong the current is and as the contractions get worse, you turn it up. They are meant to work best if you start using them very early on, as soon as you start getting contractions.

I went into my first pregnancy with a really open mind about it all. I knew it would be painful, and I accepted that....long before I went into labor. I also knew what I did and didn't want to happen, and even tho I had a lot of curveballs thrown at me I still maintained my med-free birth. What helped me was knowing that I had complete support there, and being able to use certain things as tools. I only used gas for about an hour of labor and by the end of it, it was not helping but the mask really helped me focus on my breathing.

also, keeping the end in site really helped as well.

My ideal labor is just like yours...informed and prepared. I've been reading up and watching a lot of videos and the sort to help give me an idea of what to expect. I have only seen one birth and that was my nieces birth two years ago. I am nervous but I figure that is normal. and of course I know that it will be painful, but I still feel unprepared :cry:

wow, your labor sounded intense! I am hoping to go through it without an epidural since I have back problems as it is, but I guess getting one isn't too bad?

I think it's great if you can manage without one but I don't regret having one, under the circumstances! It was a long labour but I think that was partly to do with the baby being back to back. All in all, I still view it as a great experience. I don't regret anything about it and would do the same again in the same situation, but I think the best way to go into it is with an idea of what you want, but also being ready to go with the flow and change your mind if you need to.

A TENS machine is a machine that sends electrical pulses to the body through pads that you stick on your skin. They are meant to affect the way that pain signals are sent to the brain and therefore reduce pain. It is like 'mini' electric shocks, like a kind of tingling feeling. YOu have control over how strong the current is and as the contractions get worse, you turn it up. They are meant to work best if you start using them very early on, as soon as you start getting contractions.

oo thanks!

hmmm I had never heard of that before...do they have that in the U.S?:shrug:
or is that only in the U.K?

Ten's machine and you can hire it out in Boots :)

But as you said keep your option open always a good idea :) good luck :hugs:

I think it's great if you can manage without one but I don't regret having one, under the circumstances! It was a long labour but I think that was partly to do with the baby being back to back. All in all, I still view it as a great experience. I don't regret anything about it and would do the same again in the same situation, but I think the best way to go into it is with an idea of what you want, but also being ready to go with the flow and change your mind if you need to.

I would ideally love to go without one, but I know that here in the U.S the epidural is pushed A LOT and with it being my first child I know that the medical staff probably expects me to be a complete baby and need one asap.

I think it is all mind over matter. Honestly, if you do the prenatals, are as prepared as you can be and go in with an open mind the rest will fall into place!

they don't call it labor cuz its easy! and that is one thing I kept repeating to myself over and over until I push that beautiful baby through!

I think it is all mind over matter. Honestly, if you do the prenatals, are as prepared as you can be and go in with an open mind the rest will fall into place!

they don't call it labor cuz its easy! and that is one thing I kept repeating to myself over and over until I push that beautiful baby through!

That is so true!!! you have just reassured me that it is possible by like 100000%!!
:hugs:

I always used to say that when I had a baby I'd have every drug they could give me and failing that I'd have a cesarean!! But then when I actually got pregnant I thought to myself,see what happens,I had no birth plan,um,planned!! I thought that I would go into labour and see what happens,if I can cope then brilliant,if not then I'll see what I can have and if its too much then I'll have an epidural. I seem to be able to cope ok with pain,after having a few gallbladder pain episodes,which believe me are FAR WORSE than labour,when I did go into labour I just let my body get on with it. I just closed my eyes,wiggled my toes and breathed though each contraction. I had got to the bit just before pushing and I did ask for pethidine but was told no as it was too late by then so had to wing it! When I got to pushing the contractions ebbed off and I had to be put on a drip to make them stronger,then I had to have an episiotomy and he was born using ventouse,he also tore me inside on his way out. In the end I had no pain relief at all,I never even used gas and air,I just let my body do what it was going to do,went into it with a very open mind. In the end all the pain relief I had was a bit of numbing to be stitched up. This time I admit I am a bit apprehensive about it all,knowing what it was like before but I plan on doing the same thing,let my body do what it wants and if I cant cope then I will try pain relief. I wont be using gas and air though as I was made to use that during a gallbladder attack and using it made me feel very sick so thats something I wont be trying! You'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->