Tips for expressing milk for storage

Rymel12

Reaction score
Hi ladies!
I have a question. I exclusively express (pump)and as of right now, I have been feeding my 7 week old 2.5 ounces every 2-3 hours. I have a wedding coming up in a week and a half that's out of town which I am considering leaving my LO overnight for the first time with her grandma. So today I decided to try something different as I want to try to start storing breast milk now. I would pump every 3 hours, feed her 2.5-3 ounces and store what was left. This worked okay in the beginning, but as the day went by, i seemed to only be making just enough milk to feed her with none extra to store and now I'm stuck pumping before each feed late at night when I want to have a little stashed for late night so I can skip the pump at the 3 am feeding. So my question is, what are you ladies who are expressing do to store enough milk? I'm not sure if I'm not making enough milk to do this, or just need a different approach. I'm not opposed to supplementing with formuła when out if town, but I would like for her to have as much BM as possible. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

I either use the meldela bottles that came with the pump or tomme tippee bottles.

i know it may not be fun, but definitely pump after the night feeds and maybe pump a little longer each time. i've noticed that if i pump for a few extra minutes after the milk has stopped flowing, my pumped output increases right away. i really started noticing a difference in a couple of days.

Absolutely don't drop the 3am pump. This is when your prolactin levels peak and supply/demand cycle is most efficient.

If you are not opposed to supplementing occasionally, if you get the premixed formula you can mix it in with the expressed milk. We had to do this when I went back to work. My husband gives him a half and half mixture in a bottle, so our son is always getting at least some breast milk. It stretches the frozen supply out quite a bit! The premixed formula is more expensive but we don't go through it very quickly as I just nurse when I'm with my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->