Tips for TTC with no AF, still BF...

MandaAnda

Reaction score
We've decided to TTC for baby two. I'd been on the mini-pill for contraception, which I stopped a week ago. I'm also breastfeeding my nearly 15-month-old. I don't know if the pill or the breastfeeding is keeping my period from returning, but I've not had one since before falling pregnant with my little boy. (I should say that I'm not going to stop breastfeeding, as I feel he'll stop when he's ready.)

Has anyone found the mini-pill stopped their periods? If so, did it return soon after?

Also, what herbs are being used (and how much/often) by everyone? Last time, I took EPO, agnus castus and had some Pre-Seed. I feel like I'm forgetting something though.

Thanks!

Breastfeeding will keep you from ovulating and getting your period. You may not ovulate or get your period till you start weaning your son.

The mini pill did not stop my periods. I was regular on it.

However I remember my doctor saying it stops ovulation for some women. It probably has for you. Give your body some time to adjust and I bet you'll be fine in no time.

Hi
Not too sure about this but didnt want to r&r.
My friend was on the mini pill and she became pregnant very quick after coming off the mini pill. she was on the combined pill a year before she conceived and she never became pregnant even though she was careless with it and she skipped weeks.
she had a little girls 10 weeks ago.

In relation to the herbs , i can think of..
epo, agnus castus, soy , b6, prenatals, false unicorn root.

Full fat dairy, grapefruit juice(for cm)

cant think of anything else?
good luck xx

With the mini pill I did not get AF at all. But, that being said, without it my AF comes every 3-9 months.

I know that probably doesn't help much, but good luck!

Breastfeeding will keep you from ovulating and getting your period. You may not ovulate or get your period till you start weaning your son.

Well that's not correct that you do not get it. I bf my daughter and had 5 w pp bleeding and got my 1. Period after 8!!! Week. I was nursing my daughter. But if you do not have your period and on the pill you connotation get pregnant anyway. You are also not allowed to nurse while pregnant.
My daughter is 14 months, is off the bottle since she is 10 months and is a crazy running allowed toddler, there would be no way. I would nurse her. Maybe it is time to stop? He is old enough.

There's a BF and TTC thread in the TTC groups. I can't remember if you've already joined or not.
I'm in a similar boat. I was on the minipill until 6 months pp when i stopped (because I ran out and it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I got pg :roll: thinking about that now, 5 months later and still no AF). I have heard that the minipill can stop periods, especially if started while you are still anovulatory from BF.

I've been taking Vitex and doing an OPK every other day. We day weaned recently so I'm hoping that if something is going to happen for me because of the day weaning change it will within the next few weeks.
Hope stopping the minipill sees the return of ovulation for you!

Well that's not correct that you do not get it. I bf my daughter and had 5 w pp bleeding and got my 1. Period after 8!!! Week. I was nursing my daughter. But if you do not have your period and on the pill you connotation get pregnant anyway. You are also not allowed to nurse while pregnant.
My daughter is 14 months, is off the bottle since she is 10 months and is a crazy running allowed toddler, there would be no way. I would nurse her. Maybe it is time to stop? He is old enough.

I researched it. Because I didn't get my postpartum period after my daughter until it was induced 3 months later. Which my daughter passed away. So I wasn't bfing. And they say it's the number one reason why you won't get your postpartum period. My friend who bfs didn't get her pp period for over a year breast feeding. I think it really depends on the person. I had another friend who breastfeeds and she got hers around when you got yours. I think every person if different. But it is a reason why people don't get their pp periods.

"If you are nursing you will typically not have your normal period for many months, depending on the amount and frequency of nursing and the amount of supplemental feedings, if any. The risk of ovulating in the first six months after having a baby, while you are breastfeeding, is about 1-5%. Some women use a method of lactational amenorrhea (LAM) as a means of birth control. "

https://pregnancy.about.com/od/postpartumrecover/a/postpartumperiod.htm

https://www.ivillage.com/breastfeeding-no-period-14-months-postpartum/6-n-137134

im currently breastfeeding my 18month old ( who i intend to let self wean) and ttc, i do have periods since she was a year old, but i dont think im ovulating so im trying to see if i can get her to go 6 hours without nursing in hope that this will bring on ovulation. i would say its definately possible that the mini pill is stopping your periods, it did with me. you might find that you get af now you are off it.
and as you probably already know, you can most definately breastfeed through pregnancy and beyond!! i would love love love to tandem nurse :)
fingers crossed you get your af soon xx

Thanks, all. It looks like it's a mixed bag then. So, I guess I just get to wait and see what happens!

FYI: breastfeeding is only an effective method of contraception if you practice biological nurturing. My little one is on solids and is over six months old (he's 15-months), so breastfeeding isn't likely to be the cause at this point.

Another FYI: It's perfectly safe to breastfeed whilst pregnant. The only time it would be a problem is if you were high risk (for example, your obstetrician has discouraged sex during pregnancy).

Also, I did say in the OP that I wasn't going to wean my son for this reason. Of course, he's "old enough," but breastfeeding continues to be beneficial. The World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding up to and beyond two years of age. He'll stop when he's ready.

Bky, I'll have a look for that BF/TTC thread, as I haven't seen it. If you see this, would you please give me the link just in case I can't find it? I will have a look now though. Thank you!

I got pregnant before the first AF after LO. I paid a lot of attention to my cm looking for fertile signs, then when I got fertile type cm I'd test with ovulation microscope. I later got some opks and when I got fertile cm tested, picked up ovulation and then DTD at right time and got pregnant. Billings is a good read when waiting for fertility to return. https://www.woomb.org/bom/breastfeeding.html

6 weeks prior to ovulation I went back to work. 4 weeks prior LO started sleeping through and we stopped co-sleeping, so a relatively sudden and big drop in suckling stimulation. In those 4-6 weeks I had one lot of cramping and two lots of spotting and some migraines as my body geared up to ovulate.

And you can most definatly get pregnant whilst breastfeeding....check my ticker. Still feeing twice a day!

ETA: I haven't used contraception at all since birth of LO, so it was just the feeding keeping me from ovulation. Guess you won't know for certain if its the mini pill or BFing or both that was preventing AF/ ov.

Here you go! https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-groups/514675-breastfeeding-mamas-ttc-again.html

Ah, that's a different one from the one I'd found! Thanks! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->