Tips to dealing with nausea and vomiting

JayeD

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I'm popping over from 3rd tri to pass along this information I found at my doctor's office today. They were just putting these pamphlets out, and I thought of you first. It appeared to be very helpful, at least to me. Everything listed below is from the pamphlet.

These pamphlets were put together by The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, and the Canadian Foundation for Women's Health.

How long will morning sickness last?
  • Nausea and vomiting usually begins around the 6th week.
  • For 80% of sufferers, the condition stops around the 12th week of pregnancy, although queasiness and come and go throughout the pregnancy.
  • The other 20% will suffer from nausea and vomiting for a longer period of time, even until the end of their pregnancy.
  • Many women will have to change their daily schedule in some way so that they can cope with their condition.
  • Although common in the morning, MS can happen at any time of the day.

Health Effects of Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy
  • Most cases of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy aren't harmful to both mother and child.
  • Short-term dietary deficiencies do not appear to have any harmful effects on the pregnancy outcome.
  • Severe and persistent symptoms can affect your health.

What if I Can't Keep Anything Down?
  • Excessive vomiting in pregnancy is called "hyperemesis gravidarum". In these cases, the lack of food, fluids and nutrients may be harmful to the woman's health and the well-being of their baby.
  • If left untreated, severe cases can lead to dehydration.
  • Severe cases of dehydration may require intravenous fluids and vitamin supplementation from the hospital.
  • Seek medical attention if you suffer signs of dehydration: infrequent urination or dark yellow urine.

Helpful Tips to Control Nausea and Vomiting - Diet: Food
  • When you first wake up, eat a few crackers and then rest for 15 minutes before getting out of bed.
  • Get up slowly and do not lie down right after eating.
  • Eat small meals or snacks often (i.e. every 2 hours) so your stomach does not become empty. Try not to skip meals.
  • Eat whatever you feel like eating and eat whenever you want to.
  • Avoid cooking or eating spicy, fatty and fried foods.
  • If cooking odours bother you, open the windows and turn on the stove fan. Ask someone else to cook meals, if possible.
  • Try eating cold food instead of hot food because cold food may not smell as strongly as hot food.
  • Sniffing lemons or ginger and sometimes relieve an upset stomach.
  • Eating salty potato chips can help settle the stomach enough to eat a meal.

Helpful Tips to Control Nausea and Vomiting - Diet: Drinks
  • Drink small amounts of fluids frequently during the day.
  • Avoid drinking fluids during meals, and immediately before or after eating.

Food Ideas to Help Relieve Nausea
Salty: Chips, pretzels
Tart/Sweet: Pickles, lemonade
Earthy: Brown rice, mushroom soup, peanut butter
Crunchy: Celery sticks, apple slices, nuts
Bland: Mashed potatoes, gelatin, broth
Soft: Bread, noodles
Sweet: Cake, sugary cereals
Fruity: Fruity popsicles, watermelon
Liquid: Juice, seltzer, sparkling water, ginger ale
Dry: Crackers

Lifestyle - Rest

• Get plenty of rest since nausea tends to worsen when a woman is tired. Try a nap as a pregnant woman needs more sleep in the first 3 months.
  • You may need to take some time off work or make other arrangements for household chores and childcare.

Lifestyle - Other
  • Get plenty of fresh air and avoid warm places as feeling hot can add to nausea.
  • Acupressure wrist bands or acupuncture can be beneficial for some. If you consider acupuncture, consult your doctor or midwife and look for an experienced and licensed acupuncturist.
  • Try ginger to settle your stomach. Dosages of up to 250 mg four times a day appear to be safe.
  • Try taking your prenatal vitamins with food or just before bed. Try one with a lower amount of iron if that mineral makes your nausea worse.
  • If multivitamins make your nausea worse, take folic acid alone on a daily basis.
  • Ask your doctor or midwife about "natural products" before using. The safety and effectiveness of these treatments have not yet been proven and it is important to note that very few of these products have been properly studied during pregnancy.

Medications
  • Medications may be prescribed by your doctor to help control severe nausea and vomiting.

Thanks for that information, really kind of you, looks like i have a few weeks before the fun begins! Good luck with the birth of your baby, many congratulations xx

Thanks for that information, really kind of you, looks like i have a few weeks before the fun begins! Good luck with the birth of your baby, many congratulations xx

Congrats to you as well. :)

Thanks so much! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! I bookmarked this knowing I will probably need it :)

Bumping!
Came across this today now that my MS has reached a whole new level! Hope this can help us make it through the first trimester :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->