(tmi) help - I think some placenta came out!

MummyMana

Reaction score
Sorry this is a bit tmi but I'm scared :/

Ok the week after giving birth a chunk of what I believe was placenta (it was fleshy) came out, I mentioned it to my hv but she basically brushed it off. It says on my notes that my placenta was complete but from seeing it when I gave birth it blatantly wasn't.

This is the scary bit: yesterday, 3 months to the day after I gave birth, another massive fleshy chunk came out! Is been having constant period like pains for Weeks (which I assumed was related to the contraceptive injection) and I'd started bleeding lightly last week. Sunday morning the pain got really intense and the bleeding turned bright red and heavy (sorry) then this chunk came out and the pain stopped. The pain has now started again and I'm scared there's more. I'm making a docs appointment tomorrow but I just wanted to know, has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?

They should give you an ultrasound to see what has been retained. I am sorry your HV didn't take this seriously as it could potentially lead to serious infection or other complications. When I had my youngest the placenta was complete but there were two big clots behind the placenta, these also came out but had they not the midwives would have been none the wiser xx

Thankyou :) I'm glad it'll be an ultrasound as opposed to anything more invasive :/

I had a C section and even though all the placenta is supposed to be removed, it wasn't. About a week later, a chunk of placenta came out. I felt it and it almost looked like a slice of steak. (Sorry if TMI!) I was also bleeding heavily. I bed for 6 weeks. I didn't have any more instances like this and am now 7 months post partum, so I am assuming I am fine. That is good you are getting it checked out! It could lead to infections if parts of the placenta remain in there.

Thankyou for replying :)

I went to the doctors but he was really rude and dismissive about it, acting like I was being stupid and wasting his time :( I've now gotta wait for a letter from the hospital for a scan...

Thats awful that your doctor was so dismissive!! Very unprofessional!!! Eventhough I passed something quite huge last week I had scan yesterday which showed I had more retained placenta and had a d&c to to have it removed

He didn't even seem to believe me that it was placenta :/

Maybe you need a new Doctor! It is somewhat common to have retained some of the placenta. I hope you get this resolved soon!

Maybe you need a new Doctor! It is somewhat common to have retained some of the placenta. I hope you get this resolved soon!

I don't get a specific Dr I just get to see whoever is available :( I'd have preferred to request a woman dr but had to take whichever appointment was available :/ they even got someone to call me back to "assess whether I needed am appointment" :/

The reason he was sceptical was probably because on my notes it says my placenta was "complete" although it Clearly wasn't, it was like, burst :/ the midwife yanked it out before it was ready...

Could just be blood clots because I get them just as you explained even now almost 5 months postpartum. It's like a clump of reddish flesh is what it looks like. It's pretty nasty but normal after delivery.

Even if it is a clot it should've been taken a lot more seriously as is was was bigger than a 50p piece! Although tbh I've had a lot of clots before, and none have been like that... This thing held its shape :/ and a patch if it looked kind of... Veiny :/

I agree they should have taken you more serious but if its clots there's nothing anyone can do. After I had my first son I had one the size of a baseball come out, it was this red jelly blob but my doctors assured me it was normal. If you are that worried go back or see a different dr. Xx

Oh God that sounds scary D: did they even find out whatI it was caused by? See the thing I had wasn't a jelly blob like a clot :/ bit there's no guarantee is get to see a different doctor than last time (or even see one at all now its being "sorted") :/ think I've missed the boat on a&e too, the pains not too bad now so I'll just have to ride it out

I agree they should have taken you more serious but if its clots there's nothing anyone can do. After I had my first son I had one the size of a baseball come out, it was this red jelly blob but my doctors assured me it was normal. If you are that worried go back or see a different dr. Xx

I had one that size too.! I was in the supermarket at the time, baby was 3 weeks old. I felt this warm 'thing' come out of me, had to waddle to the toilet and seen I'd practically given birth again! My friend is a midwife, I sent her a photo of it!!!! She said it was normal and not to worry unless I felt unwell or temperature... And thanked me for the lovely photo!!

Never knew what caused it but was told it was normal. I was shocked at the time one that big was normal. Mine happened as I was getting out of my DHs truck and it came out and it was pouring so I had to run more so fast waddle back to the house and couldn't believe what I saw. I've always gotten them since but never ever that big.
The things we have to go through! The joys!

OP hope you get some answers! GL!

Its bad they told you that's normal without even checking you out :s when I left the hospital they said anything bigger than a 50p was not normal

He didn't even seem to believe me that it was placenta :/

I think it's probably because heavy blood clots can look fleshy. I passed some big ones in the weeks following birth. I spoke to a doctor about it too, they told me to rest up and it'll be fine. Sorry they were so rude though. It's not something anybody warns you about but it's probably quite common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->