• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tmi lochia question

Ecoden

Reaction score
Okay sorry in advanced but this is way tmi. I'm 3 weeks postpartum and have super light bleeding/discharge and just need light pantyliners. BUT the issue is, it smells awful. Ever since the bleeding changed to this light stuff the lochia has this strong, terrible smell. Even though I shower daily and change my pad every couple hours it smells as though Im having heavy flow and haven't changed my pad in days. It's driving me crazy it's so gross and I can smell it through my pants (sorry again this is so tmi). Is this normal? When does it end? Is there anything else I can do? Am I the only one?

I'm experiencing the same thing. I am 2.5 weeks postpartum. It's so disgusting to me - I can't stand the smell.

I think a bad smell was on my list of things to call about. Hopefully it's nothing, but best to be safe and check in with your doctor.

Hi ladies, I have an infection in my episiotomy and the smell was the first thing they asked me when called. I did not have any smell though so it took few days till somebody saw me and gave me antibiotics. I would definitely get it checked.

Yes. Had it with both post pregnancies. Smells terrible.

Hi ladies, I have an infection in my episiotomy and the smell was the first thing they asked me when called. I did not have any smell though so it took few days till somebody saw me and gave me antibiotics. I would definitely get it checked.

Did they say what the infection would smell like? I'll call the doc tomorrow but just curious since it sounds like a lot of ladies have this :nope: and it's normal.

I have light bleeding still after 3 weeks too & it does smell disgusting x

To me the lochia has always smelled awful .... Without infection. One of those lovely post birth things that no one tells you :wacko:

The reason it smells is because there is an open wound in your uterus where the placenta detached, which then gets cauterized with the bacteria from your vagina. It should smell like a heavy flow, but not rotten, if that makes sense. I agree, I hated it, especially because I felt like my sense of smell was still heightened after birth.

Lochia does have its own distinct smell, which is far from pleasant, but particularly smelly fluid from your vagina can be a sign of infection or another problem. Please ask your doctor or health visitor about it. Chances are it's just regular post-pregnancy loss, but it's best to be sure.

Yes Lochia does have a weird, awful smell without having an infection. My doctor says its totally normal and its supposed to smell like that. Its normal and don't worry it will go away lol

Mine smelt awful! I went to the GP because I thought I could have had an infection, but she said it was normal. It really is a foul smell :sick:

Did they say what the infection would smell like? I'll call the doc tomorrow but just curious since it sounds like a lot of ladies have this :nope: and it's normal.

Hi sorry i have not been here. Its crazy with a newborn. You are probably sorted by now but what they said exactly was if it smells like rotten meat. It was actually my partner on the phone with them, looking at my stiched vagina a describing what he saw. I did not dare to look. So u can imagine the embarrassment when they asked him if my vagina smells like rotten meat, to be more clear she added: 'u know the smell that hits you when you are driving pass a dead rotten animal? '
I don't know how we will ever have sex again lol
Anyway i hope u did not have infection in the end.

Hi sorry i have not been here. Its crazy with a newborn. You are probably sorted by now but what they said exactly was if it smells like rotten meat. It was actually my partner on the phone with them, looking at my stiched vagina a describing what he saw. I did not dare to look. So u can imagine the embarrassment when they asked him if my vagina smells like rotten meat, to be more clear she added: 'u know the smell that hits you when you are driving pass a dead rotten animal? '
I don't know how we will ever have sex again lol
Anyway i hope u did not have infection in the end.

Hahahaha......rotten meat....dead rotten animal...OMG....lol

Poor guy

Omg rotten meat!! Haha! It wasn't that bad but it was pretty close honestly. The smell has been gone a few days and I'm 6 weeks pp today. Yay! I didn't have any infection at my 6 week appt BUT the bad news is I'm not healed. �� I had a 2nd degree tear and I'm only 80% healed. Doc said it could have been from a really hard BM (which despite softeners I've had a few of) and it split back apart or I just heal slower. I'm struggling with bf oversupply so she also thought maybe I even less estrogen and more prolactin which also slows healing. It still stings and is sore but she gave me lidocaine which has helped. She also have me estrogen cream and told me to stop using panty liners and go panty less as often as possible. I'm so bummed by the whole thing!

Maybe I should have started a new thread for this but has anyone had luck with the estrogen cream for speeding up peri tears?

I came on here looking exactly for this...The things people dont tell you. The smell is so nasty, in the beginning I kept thinking the baby kept pooping and I checked her constantly. I didnt have the smell until the bleeding turned to brown. I could smell it through my pants and it smells like trash. it is so gross...I hate when people come over to visit I feel like my entire house smells of it because it is all I smell...When my mother or mother inlaw come in I always ask them if they smell poopy trash and they always say no but I smell it all the time. I cant wait for it to stop! I dont think I have an infection because I look at the stitches all the time and they look the same as they always have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->