To big?

ForbearingLuv

Reaction score
I had a measurement scan on baby last Tuesday. She measured about a week ahead and the estimated weight was 5lb 1oz.

I am currently 33w5d days today. But everyone keeps telling me she's huge already...which is making me nervous since I do have GD. All the doctors say she's a good size. Not to big and not to small And was put in the 63rd percentile...

Everyone keeps saying she's gonna be 9lbs :( and I know I shouldn't listen but when I say she's guessed at 5lb 1oz right now they freak out at her size...should I be worried you think?! Even the doctors say she's good?!

How many of you think at 33 (almost 34) weeks that's she's "to big"?!

And also if anyone else had a guessed weight of their baby, was it at all correct?! Close?! Way off?! I'm starting to over think everything.

I had a scan at 36 weeks with my first pregnancy and was told she was already over 7lb! I'd measured two weeks ahead all the way through, so the midwife had told me to expect to give birth around 38 weeks. Robyn eventually arrived at 40+10, weighing 9lb 10oz. So, yeah, the big baby on the scan and the big measures did turn into a big baby!

Uhg I'm getting so nervous about her size. I feel like I will be very judged if she comes out being a big baby because of having GD.

She ways always right on with measurements then the last two times she's been a week over basically.
The first time she measured over I asked the doc if she was to big then and she said no because her tummy size was good and what out her over was her HEAD! Of all things. Lol I keep hoping her head is what's making her measurements wacky lol

With my first baby I had a scan at 34 weeks to check if my placenta had moved and he measured average. After that, and even during labour, all the midwives estimated him average and he came out an unexpected 4200 grams!! So they were like a kg off!

Maybe it eases your mind to say that it didnt make for a complicated delivery in my case (and he was a healthy baby who had a little extra insolation which was great cuz he was a winter baby and able to keep himself warm quite well).

So now I am having a bunch of growth scans for this one haha. Pretty sure he is gonna be a chunk again!

Didnt mean for that to be a novel but just also wanted to say they often estimate wrong and even if ur baby is big it doesnt have to be an issue at all! Please don't stress about it and wishing you a good labour

Those scans can be dead on, but they can also be way off. I wouldn't put too much stock into it, personally.

In any case, I've had a 9lb baby and it's really nbd.

They can be really off. My doctor explained to me that for one, it depends on which measurements they use to calculate the estimated weight and also if one measurement is ahead (like you said about the head) it can throw everything off. The other thing he said was it's impossible to tell whether baby has more muscle or more fat and that can also change the weight.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that is big. 5 lbs is completely normal for almost 34 weeks! Even if you read several pregnancy sites/apps about week 33 or 34, it will say the baby is an estimated 5 lbs by now. And that all babies vary in how much they weigh. I'd actually expect my baby to be weighing around 5 lbs by now and gaining a pound every 2 weeks. So 6 lbs by 36 weeks. 7 by 38 weeks and 8 by 40 weeks. So, I really think your baby is a completely normal weight.

Oh and as far as accuracy goes, it was off for my son by about a pound. He was estimated at over 8 lbs when I was in labor and he was 7 lbs 6 oz at birth.

My midwife said the only way to know how much a baby is going to weigh is to give birth and pop it on the scales! As long as the Dr isn't worried I'm sure you don't need to be.

At 33 weeks baby measured around 5lbs 12oz, and I think at 36 weeks she measured 7lbs 2oz. She was born at 39+5 weighing 8lbs 7oz so they were somewhat spot on. They were guessing 9 or 10 lbs but that wasn't the case

I was told 5lb was normal for that stage. Baby gains 1/2 a week every week up until 38 weeks apparently. You may not go to 40 weeks either. I'm sure with your gd the docs will be keeping a close eye on you anyway. I'm 5'4 and my partner is 6'7 and all the babies in his family are 10lb'ers. I was freaking out about it at first but we're built for this!! Can't wait to meet my chubby lil man :)

My daughters were born at 34 and 35 weeks and we're 5lb 4 and 5lb 10 I'd say that's a lovely weight to be at and will be toward a 8 lb baby at full term as they can gain upto 1/2 a pound the last few weeks x

Thank you all so much! Makes me feel a lot better! I know average is 8lbs but I feel like I'm being judge if my baby is big sized compared to a non GD :(

The measurments were off for my son, they guessed his weight to be a good 9lbs, he arrived on his due date weighing 7lb 9oz! And with this baby they have said expect a good 9pounder too, I'll believe it when I see it ;-) xxx

I'm afraid that now you're a mummy you're going to be judged for everything for the rest of your mothering life. If people judge you, ignore them. Know in your own head and heart that you did just fine. Otherwise people will either walk all over you or make you feel bad over stuff that shouldn't be their concern.

If the doctor says she's fine, she's fine! Mine was estimated at 6 pounds something at 37 weeks and the doctors said she was fine but my MIL said 'that's big!' I'd ignore everyone other than the doctors or midwives. Mine was 7 pounds 7 ounces and born on her due date - exactly 40 weeks :)

Plus there's nothing wrong with an 8lb or bigger baby GD or not. That's a very healthy size.

Mine was not estimated high enough for my first. I went in and they said he would be a tall baby, but that he was around 7 lbs. I gave birth to him a week later and he was 23 inches long and 10lbs 1 oz... no GD or any other issues.

Thank you everyone. You've all calmed my thoughts about her size. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->