to council house or not to council house!?

violet chase

Reaction score
So due to circumstances hubby and i are living with his mum and it's getting hard work. I want to go on the council house list but hubby says it's a waste of money, we'll probably end up in a rough area and we should try and save for a deposit, however he thinks we wont be able to afford a deposit untill a year after the baby is born.

can anyone shed some light on council housing or should i just suck it up and stay with MIL till we can afford a deposit!?

Theyre not all bad, you good get a good area but then end up with a nightmare neighbour or vice versa

Also, if you go on the list, you could be waiting years anyway. I'm on my local list and have been told I'll have at least a three year wait. One year in so far... xx

im used to nightmare neighbours both my dad and MIL have them :dohh:
and i didnt think about the waiting :dohh:

Not all council houses are in nasty areas. I live in a housing association property and I live in a tiny village full of old people. It's lovely and quiet, clean, never has hassle :flower:

I'd be inclined to say suck it up and save.

You have somewhere to live now so won't be classed as Priority and if you local council is like ours, the new properties in the good areas go to existing tenants only and the list is so long even band 2 have to wait a few years.

Also, there is nothing wrong with private renting if you're desperate to move out. At the end of the day having a roof over your families head is what matters the most.

You mean to buy? If you can afford to save for a deposit to buy a house your probably not really in need of a council house.

They are pretty limited atm and you could be waiting years.

Could you do one of those Taylor Wimpy type deals where you don't have to put down such a big deposit.

We looked into these, but we wanted a 3 bed house and they only give you one extra room above your needs. So at the time we would have only qualified for a 2 bed house.

Don't know if this helps:
https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/special+offers/first+time+buyer+schemes/

havnt read other replies but our waiting list around here is 7years...
so we had no choice but to private rent & they topped our rent up. OH & i split now so they pay my full rent..

thankfully my dad helped with the deposit but you can get loans etc interest free so that you just pay back how much you borrowed. xx

No harm in being on the list while you stay with mil and save, that way you have both options open

Thanks for your advice. i'll go to see the council about going on the waiting list see what they say and i'll look into the wimpey homes. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->