To OPK or not to OPK - Help Please!!!

SaraJewel

Reaction score
OK, so looking to find out how you ladies find using OPks...........

I've been tracking CM and have been sure that this is giving me a good indicator of my best fertile times, however am starting to doubt myself!

Has anyone noticed that they have EWCM when they get a positive on their OPK? I am wondering if for me, the 2 might not match up..........maybe I should be checking with a OPK?

Also, which is the best OPK to use? I've heard the digital ones are best, but then again they are more pricey!

Thanks Girls!!! :)

I do often get the ewcm, but it is sometimes the day before a positive opk. I personally don't think the digital are the best. Why? They don't show any "shades". I have had manual opks go from positive to super positive (the line goes from pink to dark purple) but the digitals are always only a smiley face. I have found they give you a smiley face when the line is on the pale side (you can see this when you eject the stick, but I find you can't tell so well as they are blue dyes). I get one step OPK' on ebay, something like 50 for 6 pounds (I can't remember exactly) Good luck XXXX

I normally use CBFM but ever since I had laparoscopy it does not work that well (not sure why) so started using OPK as well to make sure I do not miss LH surge. I bought 2x20 first response (on sale in boots), quite pricy but I like them. yesterday for instance I noticed a faint second line which is a good indication that my LH levels are rising so ovulation is around the corner.

Thanks Briss and Calm,

good to here other points of view and tips. Anyone else recommend particular OPKs, and anyone notice that EWCM coincides with a positive OPK test?

Hi SaraJewel,
I hope you don't mind that I am lurking in the Over 35 section..:blush:. Though I am not quite 35, I will be very shortly and feel like I can easier relate to this age group.
My husband and I are TTC. I have 2 older kids (10 & 11) from a previous marriage. My husband has no biological kids of his own. We TTC for SEVERAL months last year, no luck. I go so stressed/depressed I needed a break. We've been TTC all of this year. Still no luck. I worry something has changed significantly in me because with my other 4 pregnancies, I was pregnant the 1st try. I have been given a clean bill of health by my Dr. We also did a home sperm analysis on my husband and he is a rock star :thumbup:. This makes me extremely confident that age is playing a huge role in our struggle to conceive.
Anyway, I was drawn to your question because I have this same issue. I get extremely HEAVY EWCM at CD 9. I mean,really really heavy. However, I do not get a positive OPK until CD 14 or CD 15, and at days 14 & 15 I have ZERO cervical mucus. I usally report 3 days in a row of positive OPK's with no mucus whatsoever. I am able to produce arosuel (sp) fluid so dryness isn't an issue. This month I am going to try preseed for the first time. Hoping it will make a difference.
So, basically, monitoring cervical mucus is not a valid option for me. I use cheap OPK's from ebay. The brand is EGENS. They show 2 lines, different shades. For a positive it must be either the same color as the control or darker. I really believe they are accurate because I get cramps with ovulation, and the sticks always coincide with the cramps.
Sorry for the length of this. I wanted to help you a little but I also needed to vent a little I guess. :hugs:

Hi SaraJewel,
I hope you don't mind that I am lurking in the Over 35 section..:blush:. Though I am not quite 35, I will be very shortly and feel like I can easier relate to this age group.
My husband and I are TTC. I have 2 older kids (10 & 11) from a previous marriage. My husband has no biological kids of his own. We TTC for SEVERAL months last year, no luck. I go so stressed/depressed I needed a break. We've been TTC all of this year. Still no luck. I worry something has changed significantly in me because with my other 4 pregnancies, I was pregnant the 1st try. I have been given a clean bill of health by my Dr. We also did a home sperm analysis on my husband and he is a rock star :thumbup:. This makes me extremely confident that age is playing a huge role in our struggle to conceive.
Anyway, I was drawn to your question because I have this same issue. I get extremely HEAVY EWCM at CD 9. I mean,really really heavy. However, I do not get a positive OPK until CD 14 or CD 15, and at days 14 & 15 I have ZERO cervical mucus. I usally report 3 days in a row of positive OPK's with no mucus whatsoever. I am able to produce arosuel (sp) fluid so dryness isn't an issue. This month I am going to try preseed for the first time. Hoping it will make a difference.
So, basically, monitoring cervical mucus is not a valid option for me. I use cheap OPK's from ebay. The brand is EGENS. They show 2 lines, different shades. For a positive it must be either the same color as the control or darker. I really believe they are accurate because I get cramps with ovulation, and the sticks always coincide with the cramps.
Sorry for the length of this. I wanted to help you a little but I also needed to vent a little I guess. :hugs:

Vent away, I think that's what this forum is for sometimes (or a lot of the time!!!). Sorry to hear about your stress, it can really get to you can't it?

I've heard A LOT of good things about preseed, and it can't do any harm.

Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna try the OPKs next month just to check out if what I think is happening is actually happening!!!!! The dates when I get EWCM would add up, but you never know do you???
:dust:

Hi there. I dont understand the cervical mucus thing at all. I use opks and I get ewcm from day 10 and I never ov until cd18. I judt dont understand.
In order to keep the cm thin though I use Guaifenesin cough mixture to thin things. I conceived my daughter when I was on clomid and Guaifenesin was a godsend. I have tried preseed however it does, like all lubes kill a small amount of sperm so I have tried Guaifenesin this cycle.
Good luck ladies. I look forward to reading a solution to the cm mystery on here!

I use OPK strips and temp every morning - have been able to successfully pinpoint ovulation each time :)

I have actually never been able to understand how CM works. my sex drive increases right after my period and this lasts either until O or until a few days before that. So usually I get a lot of virginal lube which looks and feels exactly like EWCM but I know it isn't. No idea how to distinguish the two so I just rely on my temp, CBFM and now also on OPK.

:hi: I get EWCM about 2-4 days before O and I use cheap OPK strips to pinpoint O plus temping :thumbup:

:hi: I get EWCM about 2-4 days before O and I use cheap OPK strips to pinpoint O plus temping :thumbup:

Thanks Butterfly!

I think I am the same as you, but am going to do OPK next month to double check. It's good to hear that there can be a correlation between EWCM and O!

Hi there. I dont understand the cervical mucus thing at all. I use opks and I get ewcm from day 10 and I never ov until cd18. I judt dont understand.
In order to keep the cm thin though I use Guaifenesin cough mixture to thin things. I conceived my daughter when I was on clomid and Guaifenesin was a godsend. I have tried preseed however it does, like all lubes kill a small amount of sperm so I have tried Guaifenesin this cycle.
Good luck ladies. I look forward to reading a solution to the cm mystery on here!

I think some ladies get EWCM for longer than others. I have had EWCM since CD13 (today is CD17) so that's 5 days already! We DTD successfully on CD14, but am thinking this was too early now that the EWCM has continued for longer than I expected.

I did MY FIRST (!!) OPK today. I've got a pack of 20 for next month, but thought would have a practice. OK, I don't know what you girls think but I found it quite hard! Found it hard to get enough urine on the stick without getting it on the test, don't know if I got enough on, think got a little bit on the test, and got a negative result!

Does practice make perfect? I think my first reply was a bit of a disaster to be honest.

Has anyone found that they still get EWCM after they have ovulated? It's such a puzzle!!!!!!!

Sara, are you trying to piss on the OPK or dip it in a pot of pee? :haha: Peeing on the actual stick is a master art that should only be tried by experienced and well aimed POASers :haha::haha:

Nice on the 5 days of EWCM :thumbup:

Sara, are you trying to piss on the OPK or dip it in a pot of pee? :haha: Peeing on the actual stick is a master art that should only be tried by experienced and well aimed POASers :haha::haha:

Nice on the 5 days of EWCM :thumbup:

:haha:Tring to pee on stick!!!!!

I guessed it might be a master art..................

Yeah, I figure a lot of EWCM is good, however also confusing! That's why I wondered if I have already ovulated and whether EWCM can carry on after ovulation. Maybe I am ovulating now and I don't even know it!!!!!!!! Oh God, I suspect I am going crazy........

Hi!!

I get ewcm by cd10 till ovulation. But once I ovulate it's gone. As far as the opk's goes I am still going :dohh:. The good thing for me is I get ovulation pain. I stick to bd right after af is over. I know that it could be hard to bd that often because of time, distance and other issues. Since we are still kind of being newlyweds, the bd gets done every day if not every other day :blush:.

But good luck with the opk's, they work wonder for many ladies on this forum. I am pretty sure that once you get the hang of it, you will be ok. On my part, laziness won over opk.

Oh God, I suspect I am going crazy........

yeah.... that describes how I feel half the time too while ttc :dohh: :haha:

Yep, it's hard work!

Well am using the OPKs, not poas but into a pot! Much easier. No sign of LH surge yet (CD11) but don't think I ovulate until around CD16-17 based on EWCM.

Of course am now starting to worry might not be ovulating at all or that am missing the surge. Can only really test around 5pm during the week, but have read that it's better to do it early afternoon so am gonna do that at the weekend.

Whole new level of things to stress about!

Any tips from anyone about OPK testing?

Hi Sara. Loving this thread, I too get v confused about Ewcm and opks. I have used opks for a while (dipping not poas!) and always assume my ov day is the day after I get a +. However this month I had tons of Ewcm cd13 and cd14, then had a + Opk cd15 but no Ewcm! So Ewcm has stopped before ov for me. Not sure if that's the norm.

Well done for trying to figure this out, I will follow with interest.

Hi Sara. Loving this thread, I too get v confused about Ewcm and opks. I have used opks for a while (dipping not poas!) and always assume my ov day is the day after I get a +. However this month I had tons of Ewcm cd13 and cd14, then had a + Opk cd15 but no Ewcm! So Ewcm has stopped before ov for me. Not sure if that's the norm.

Well done for trying to figure this out, I will follow with interest.

Thanks! It's good to have a buddy! Still no EWCM for me or positive OPK, but this is normal (the EWCM) at this stage (CD12).

Yes, I thought you would get a couple of days (or more) EWCM then ovulate and then dry up. And I thought you would get the positive OPK a day or 2 before ovulation. How strange??? I did also read some proper research which said that EWCM was the best indicator for the fertile period and DTD when EWCM was present was the best time to conceive. I guess that's all well and good, except if you don't get any, or if you have it for more than 2-3 days before ovulation at which case it might be harder to conceive (although I've read on this forum about ladies conceiving when they DTD 4 days before they got a positive OPK!!!).

It is now wonder we are confused.:wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->