To those of you naming baby after someone

ZoeyKaspian

Reaction score
If it's a boy, we've decided against Kaspian and gone to Harvey Benjamin. Both names are pretty obvious to people who we would be naming our son after. So, there'd be no question. However, if we have a girl, the name is Zoe Juliet. It's not as obvious that the middle name, is in fact, after two people. It's after my mom Julie and my fiance's Aunt Julie. We had Juliet because we like the way Zoe Juliet sounds better than Zoe Julie. My fiance does NOT want to tell people (he is okay with my mom knowing, because she will keep quiet) but he's afraid that it would break his mom's heart that we named baby after my mom and his Aunt (her sister) instead of her, but it was more of a "Zoe Laura doesn't really sound right to us" thing than anything else. We both love his mom a lot so it was nothing personal! :) I am okay with not letting his Aunt know that the middle name, is in fact, partially after her and it's not a huge debate with my fiance and I at all, but I am wondering if anyone else is in a position like that? Basically, are you TELLING people that it was after someone or not? Is it obvious that it was after someone or is it a little hidden like ours is? (Fiance did say if they picked up on Juliet being after his Aunt Julie, he'd admit to it, but didn't want to outright just tell people! :))

We told people. Both my sons middle names are family names. They were obvious. My second son has a very different name. We wanted to include my dad and brother (who's name is both John) and my other brother Darryl. Plus my hubby wanted his family name Micheal in there somewhere. So we went with JD Michael. Everyone was happy. But I get your worry with one mom feeling left out. Juliet is a beautiful name. Or you could combine and use Lauralie. Good luck!

Thank you. I think we're pretty much set on Zoe Juliet. Zoe is a really special name to us, because when we first met and were just talking, my fiance had brought up girl names and asked me what my favorites were. Lo and behold, we both love Zoe. Zoe Lauralie - I still like Zoe Juliet a bit more! Again, we are keeping hush hush about who it's after, unless they guess. My mom knows, but knows to keep hush hush as well. :)

Zoe Juliet really does go well. It's so pretty :) Julie, Julianna or Juliet were on our short list. But hubby loves Kensi. Now that has grown on me. I guess my youngest two will have unique names.lol

Juliet is really pretty but as a mom id feel slightly left out even if i didn't say, there is also:
Laurie (law-re)
Lauriet (law-re-et)
Laurietta (law-re-et-a)
Julia (jew-lee-a)
Julietta (jew-lee-et-a)
Juliara (jew-lee-ah-ra)
juliaura (jew-lee-aura)
if you really want to incorporate the second mom

i think they are all very pretty with Zoe

I like Kensi. It's cute! Laurie is out because my fiance has a really grumpy Aunt named Lori (who his mom also doesn't like very much so that'd be a bad idea). Julia maybe a good compromise. I still think it's gonna be Juliet. Fiance thinks it's poetic, as well. :) Thank you guys, though! :)

Our son's middle name is after my hubby's grandpa (my sons great grandpa).
He has an unusual name though, Garn, so can't really keep that one "secret" lol
I think Zoe Juliet is beautiful! I think it'd be silly for people to get offended personally.

Oh Yes!!! I am in a terribly similar position! I find out this saturday what Im having. If its a boy were thinking of naming him Jakob Larry, Larry after my maternal grandfather who passed away who was my hero; the smartest, kindest person I or my OH has ever met. My paternal grandmother is very "witchy" i could use another letter at the beginning of that word but well keep it G rated. She wants the baby to be named after my father, Gary. Jakob Larry Gary??? Are you kidding me?!? Im not dropping the Larry. Its not my favorite name in the world but it has meaning and I love it because of that. Shes already pitching a fit that my mothers side of the family is getting a name sake and hers isnt. No one on OH's side of the family knows yet and im keeping it that way based on the reaction i got just from my one grandmother! If we have a girl OH wants to middle name after his grnadmother, June. I havent even gone there with anyone yet but im sure itll be fun....Keep it a secret for as long as you can. Once they see the baby the name or middle name or last name wont matter. Good Luck!

The names in both my husband and I's family are more traditional than they are just catered to a single person. "Jose" is a family name on his side, so our boy name is "Enzo Jose" and "Dorothy" is a family name on my side, so we're just debating between "Dorothy Luna" or "Valentina Dorothea." But because it is tradition, people do know. Best of luck with your situation!

Ours is pretty obvious. My grandma, mom, and myself all have the same middle name, just like OH's grandpa, dad, and him. So Avalon got my middle name (Ann) and if we have a boy, he will have OH's middle name (Allen) so our is extremely obvious lol

Zoe Juliet really is beautiful :) what surname will your baby take? If its your oh then the baby will already be linked in name to oh's mum.

I really want to use a family name as the middle name. For me there doesn't seem much point in middle names unless they mean something, but then I have a very generic 90's middle name. So I will use phylis as a middle name if I have a daughter (im TTC atm) and yes I know it is not the nicest middle name but its my nans name and she is a wonderful women, and I feel bad that any daughter I have will not really get to know her. (btw any names which suddenly spring to mind as going with phylis please let me know!)

But I'm struggling with a boys name my grandpa's name is George and my oh great grandad was George too. I love the name but not sure how my dad would feel as he loves his dad but they don't always get on. The other choice would be oh dads name (he has no middle name) but because they would have the same surname any name I put in for the first name just sounds like something tagged on, am I making any sence? My dad hates his first name and has given his middle name to my brother.

Has anybody been named after a family member?

you could have 2 middle names something like:

Zoe Juliet Lauraine (surname)

it flows nice and include both parents

Zoe Juliet is lovely. I wanted Juliet but my OH vetoed it every time.

To the person posting a couple above me; I se middle names completely differently :lol: For me, a middle name is almost as important as a first name. It may not be used much, but for me it is very much a part of my child's name. I won't use a name, even as a middle name, unless I'm in love with it. If I wanted to name a child after someone, but I didn't like their name, I'd look for a variation, but if I didn't love it, I'd forget it and choose a completely different name. I dread to think of the arguments that would have taken place if my OH had had a traditional family name he'd wanted to use :shock: :haha:

Anyway, we were going to use James for #1 (oh's grandfather, who died when I was 6wks pregnant with her), but she was a girl. Her middle name is Rose, which is MY middle name, which I wanted to pass on to my first daughter (because I love the name, not just because it was my name). OH's aunt has the same name though,and I think she made the assumption that we named our daughter after her. Awkward...

With #3 I was thinking of using Marie as a middle name (my grandmother is very sick, and we don't think she'll live much longer, and Maria is her middle name), but then we found the first name we wanted, and suddenly it didn't flow right, so we've dumped it.

We considered variations of parents' names,but never used them. It's an awkward situation, and if I was the grandmother I might think it a little strange that they name a child after the great aunt and not the grandmother, but names are so important, and if a name doesn't feel right you shodn't use it. If you prefer the name Juliet, then use it. I wouldn't hide the fact, I'd just explain that it flowed better and you preferred the name, but that it was nothing personal.

We would be naming it after my mother, too, though. It just so happens that his Aunt and my mom have the same name. As he's said (and I agreed), Laura just didn't flow with Zoe for us. Plus, he's actually closer to his Aunt. His Aunt helped him through some tough times. My mom means a lot to me so it just worked. Zoe Julie does not (their names are Julie, not Juliet). Anyway, Zoe Juliet it is. We're stuck on that one. :) The last name would be his dad's, but his mom never married his dad (though, they are still together). We have no previous children together. He has a son with someone else and his son's middle name is after his ex's grandpa (still very special). He wanted to have the middle name for his brother but that's not what happened, which is why we picked Benjamin for the middle name for our boy, if we have a boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->