• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

To those of you who can drive..

I started to learn when i was 17 but got bored after about 3 months and never had intrest till i fell pregnant in febuary ( im 27 now) i allways said i wanted to be driving for when the baby comes so i majorly kicked myself up the bum done my theory then done a weeks intensive course and passed first time with 7 minors at 7 weeks pregnant its the best thing iv ever ever done x

Im quite tempted by the intensive driving course, I think if i was driving that frequently for that many hrs a day I wouldnt have time to feel so nervous iykwim?
But ive heard mixed reviews on it.. How did you find it? And how expensive was it?

I think when im behind the wheel i wont feel as frightened! This thread is making me feel much better!

I did my theory before i booked the course so it was out the way then booked an assesment lesson for the instructor to see what he thought n how many hours i needed, i had 10 hours in the end, from doing my theory to passing my test was 3 weeks, i highly reccomend the instensive course, it can be expensive but worth it in the end x

After the first one or 2 lessons I stopped being scared :L You instructor really does look after you and then it becomes great fun :D
It took me 8 months and I passed 2nd time. 1st time I failed over something I could have easily not done if I was paying more attention :L

i took about a year of lessons (but they were pretty spaced out as i had 2 babies to look after lol)
I passed 2nd time (failed due to something really silly but i think it was good as it meant i was completely prepared for what happened in a driving test as apposed to the first time being soooo nervous!)
i passed in May, and i'd say it took me a month after that to be 100% confident driving the kids about :)

It was the scariest thing I've ever done!

It took me a while to pass because I started lessons when I was 17. Had 10 lessons with an appalling instructor so they were totally wasted! I stopped for a while. Then started again a few months before I turned 18. I had about 18 lessons with the new instructor who was brilliant. I failed twice before passing third time lucky!

First time I got 1 minor and 1 major, second time 2 minors, 1 major. Third time 4 minors and pass lol.

With the theory it was obviously different to what it is now but it was soo easy. I only got 1 question wrong in the whole test.

I was a very nervous learner but I got there eventually!!

The day after I passed my test I had to drive all the way home from ripon to scarborough all by my self! That's 1.5 hours and up Sutton bank!!! That journey helped massively :)

It was the scariest thing I've ever done!

It took me a while to pass because I started lessons when I was 17. Had 10 lessons with an appalling instructor so they were totally wasted! I stopped for a while. Then started again a few months before I turned 18. I had about 18 lessons with the new instructor who was brilliant. I failed twice before passing third time lucky!

First time I got 1 minor and 1 major, second time 2 minors, 1 major. Third time 4 minors and pass lol.

With the theory it was obviously different to what it is now but it was soo easy. I only got 1 question wrong in the whole test.

I was a very nervous learner but I got there eventually!!

The day after I passed my test I had to drive all the way home from ripon to scarborough all by my self! That's 1.5 hours and up Sutton bank!!! That journey helped massively :)

Wow impressed-anyone who knows Sutton bank knows how steep it is. Would stress me out! Know it well.
Xx

I passed my test eight years ago, I liked driving and was not nervous, I started at 17. I got really nervous on the tests though and failed a couple of times, so I left it a while, then passed after that.
It's all mindset, my friends dh was dead against learning etc but started when she was pregnant, turns out he loved it and now does most the driving :)

I started driving at 18 and passed 18 months later, I had a terrible instructor first and had about 20 hours with him over a year (had some breaks in that time) swapped instructors had about another twenty hours and passed 3rd time. I was a nervous driver and the mist important thing I found was to get an instructor you're comfortable with. I think it felt completely natural about a year after I passed and regularly had to use motorways etc. Before that it felt natural driving round my home town about 2 weeks after I got my car but at that time I was still nervous with city/towns I didn't know. I don't think the intensive course would have been any good for me, I think I needed to build it up slowly at first. My DW is going to start driving next month, we are currently looking for an instructor for her as she's also nervous.

So many encouraging stories, thankyou!
My friend has recommended her instructer, she was a shaky driver too so hoping it'll be a good fit.

I guess its all about pushing yourself, my parents have always been incredibly confident driers and think nothing of driving in different countries and id like to have that lvel of confidence eventually!

I might actually do pass plus, so im comfortable on motorways etc.. A lot of my friebds have their licence but not many have ever driven on a motorway!

I've been driving a little over 3 years now. At first I hated it, but after about 10 hours I loved it. I passed my test second time, and I was a confident driver before I passed, but after I'd failed my first. I've driven roughly 50,000 miles in the last three years, in two different cars. I am terrified of accidents so I'm a bit more cautious than is absolutely necessary but *touch wood* I've not had an accident yet.

I think it took me about a year when I was 17 but I had a couple of months' break in the middle. I don't advise doing that - if you miss two months, it's not just that you miss out on two months of lessons, you actually go backwards, at least that was the case for me. I think it's important if you don't want to waste your time and money to make sure you will be able to learn without a break in the middle, so make sure you'll be able to afford it all and make sure your instructor won't be going on maternity leave with no cover planned!

I think it took about 6 months of driving after I passed my test for me to feel really happy driving. At that point, I would go for a drive on a nice summer's day just for the fun of it. It helped that I was young and had to drive to and from 6th form college every day and my dad made me drive even when it snowed badly. I learned a lot from that, particularly confidence - my OH is a more confident driver in general than me but I am more confident in snow at least! I used to ferry my sisters around too, which helped. One thing I think it's good to remember is that driving with an instructor is very different to driving on your own. On your own, if you're not sure something is safe you just don't do it! Don't like the look of that right hand turn? Keep going and turn right later or turn around :D Don't want to park in that tiny gap? Just walk a bit further! So it's not as scary when you're making your own choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->