to those who have experienced labour??

pipsbabybean

Reaction score
good morning ladies... just a quick question about how you handled period pain compared to labour.. they may sound abit daft
coming from a mum to be

middle of the night , trying to get back to sleep and these silly questions
pop into my head

my period pain were excruciating and i wondered if anyone can make a connection with the pain they felt in labour to their own period pains..

kinda like.. if you suffered badly period wise did you breeze through labour

equaled to hardly had period pains made labour unbearable

or no resemblance at all

just wondered on your thoughts please...:flower:

I used to have horrendous period pain n thought I coped well thru labour, didn't have any pain relief! It felt a lot like the period pain at first n just gor worse! X

my advice is, yes contractions hurt, but...............time them, so you know when to expect them, and how long approx they will last, my hubby was counting down with me to the end of the contraction............i had bad monthly pains and from 11pm till 4.30 am my pain relief was codine and hot water. :) hope that helps x

I never really had bad period pains, i always medicated through them haha. But i did have bad ibs pains and early labour feels very similar for me so i handled that okay. It was the tiredn ess that did me in as i was in labour for 3 days so regardless of the pain i was too tired which made it a million times worse. The biggest help i can say is to rest at much as possible in early labour and that will help ememnsly for the pain!

ill be honest and say i used to have bad period pains and labour is a lot worse, The difference is unlike period pains contractions have a beginning a middle and an end and you get a rest in between. I never thought that I would be able to cope however its like your body takes over and you just manage. Don't be afraid of pain relief. If you feel like you are not coping that's what its there for. Keep on reminding yourself that its only temporary, that millions of women have been through it and come out the other side. If you stay relaxed and don't panic it makes it easier. Give yourself up to the process. I managed to get to 9cm on just gas and air and had an epi for the last cm but i must say i might be opting for that earlier next time especially if i have to be induced again. The really good thing about the whole labor is that although it is intense pain as soon as the baby is born its gone and forgotten. You may have pain afterwards if you need stiches (or have a C section) but overall i found you bounce back remarkably quickly.

Hello,
I had endometriosis, and it was really awful, to where I couldn't function or talk or even breath during periods.
Labor was way different as in it had a purpose...
It came gradually as well and really wasn't as painful until I was about 6 cms.
You can do it. :D

At first the contractions didnt hurt that much, more like a crushing/pulling sensation. Nothing like my period pains, its more intense but so so worth it.

Just remember to keep breathing and not hold your breath during a contraction as this will make the pain sensation worse, you need to get as much oxygen in to your body because after all your uterus is possibly the biggest muscle in your body right now and it needs oxygen rich blood to function better.

Keep hydrated too, you might forget to drink so make a list of things for your partner to do such as making sure you drink a bottle of water every hour if not more, you may also forget to go to the toilet or have no sensation of a full bladder so get him to remind you every so often to go and try for a wee as a full bladder can slow down contractions.

Contractions also create a lot of lactic acid (just like running a marathon will make your legs ache and hurt) and you need to flush this out.

Stay off your back, stay upright and active!
Practice your breathing for contractions and practice your panting (i know, you been breathing your whole life but it can help so much if you can nail the labour breathing pattern)

Early labour was very much like bad period pain for me. But when proper contractions kicked in it was nothing like. I personally can't really compare labour pains with any other pain though because it is just so different when you know you're 'meant' to be feeling pain iykwim?

With labour pains you know thats its got to end and when it does you will have a beautiful baby! With period pain you just get the pain an gain nothing other than lots of trips to toilet!!lol
Its such a strange pain and everyone experiences it differently. Try not to stress and just go with the flow xx

I had never had period pains so had no idea what contractions would feel like.
TBH contractions hurt BUT I didn't think they were too bad.

Having had AWFUL period pains after DD was born, I'd say period pains are worse as theres nothing nice to look forward to at the end and to keep you going iygwim?

thanks ladies so much for all your replies. just what i was after. i no that we all cope differently with pain and labour.. im not worried was just curious as to if they compared..mine were horendous just wondered if there was a connection..
many thanks again

good morning ladies... just a quick question about how you handled period pain compared to labour.. they may sound abit daft
coming from a mum to be

middle of the night , trying to get back to sleep and these silly questions
pop into my head

my period pain were excruciating and i wondered if anyone can make a connection with the pain they felt in labour to their own period pains..

kinda like.. if you suffered badly period wise did you breeze through labour

equaled to hardly had period pains made labour unbearable

or no resemblance at all

just wondered on your thoughts please...:flower:

My labor with DD started on a monday with period cramps. Then tuesday they got more and more and tue night they turned into real contractions abt 6 mins apart where sleeping was impossible. Went to hospital and they sent us back home cuz i was only 1cm. I couldnt even sleep. The next day they were so bad, my tummy woud tighten and release tighten and release and the pain started from my tights to my lower back and then to the belly. Thats how my contractions felt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->