Today's doctor's appointment... Bit of a rant

aragornlover8

Reaction score
So I'm not sure how to feel after my doctor's appointment today. I got my least favorite of the ob's in my practice today, so I'm guessing that's to be expected. First off, I brought up some questions about labor and delivery. I basically asked, because I want natural birth if at all possible (well, as natural as possible), if they would be able to basically take the epidural off the table. I don't mind it mentioned on occasion, but I just don't want to be consistently asked whether or not I want one, that kind of thing. At that, he basically said that he could make a note about it but that if I was in a lot of pain, he would suggest me getting one, that epidurals are safe, etc etc etc. I'm not sure how I feel about that suggestion, as there is no real medical necessity for an epidural except in the case of a c-section.

Furthermore, I've had some issues with my blood pressure in the past. It was slightly elevated on a few appointments so they suggested I start taking blood pressure medicine. I take it once a day (even though the recommended dose is twice a day) and my blood pressure has already gone back to normal. I've also only gained ten pounds so far throughout my entire pregnancy, so all of my doctors have seemed pretty happy with that. Regardless, he keeps mentioning how my high blood pressure might affect labor and delivery, saying that I'm at higher risk of having to have a c-section, which would mean that I would have to have an epidural. He also marked on the form that I'm "high risk OB" when no other doctor has suggested that. So I'm also going to have to have weekly ultrasounds starting at 32 weeks to make sure that the baby is doing okay.

I mean, I'm glad that he wants me to take precautions... but I'm wondering how necessary some of this is... :shrug: I mean I'm 100% okay with doing what is best for little Alex but I just don't know how to feel about his attitude with my pregnancy.

Does this make sense at all?

makes sense to me. I've noticed some ob's like to take the easiest route for them/their schedule. I might be changing my ob this week due to similar issues.

He could also be looking out for your best interests, though. Maybe at your next appt you'll get an ob you relate to better.

do you have a midwife you can talk things through with?
I see a consultant but I also see a midwife who I talk through any issues I have, if thats not possible how about making an appointment to see yr gp and just talk to him/her about yr questions etc good luck xx

I really wish I had a midwife, but there aren't a lot around here and it's a lot easier with insurance in the United States to just go ahead and go with an ob practice. I haven't really had any issues with the other doctors in the practice, so I'm just kind of hoping that when I go into labor, this particular one isn't on call. :p Or maybe she will be stubborn and I will need to be induced and then get my pick of the litter. Strange thing to hope for, I know!

Its the same at my hospital, they will still bring it up once in a while because at some point, you cant get it anymore!! and they cant give a "last call" bc of how fast u can progress. This is why they will bring it up once in a while and remind you that if u need one, you might not be able to get it later so really think about it.

Hope that helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->