toddler repeating sentences over and over

Sarah lo

mum of 2 little monkeys!
Reaction score
Olivia does this all the time and it drives me nuts. Its usually when she wants something (but not always) she will repeat the question over and over even after you've answered her question. She will repeat herself maybe 20 times or more until I manage to change the subject or something else distracts her.

Its this kind of thing:

Olivia: i go to park mummy?
Me: after lunch.
Olivia: I go to park mummy?
Me: after lunch.
Repeat 20 more times

Olivia: change my nappy mummy!
Me: come here then
Olivia: (doesn't come here) change my nappy mummy!
Me: come here then
Repeat 20 more times

Sometimes its not a question. For example:

Olivia: mummy I see aeroplane!
Me: oh wow you saw an aeroplane!
Olivia: mummy I see aeroplane!
Me: Wow!
Repeat 20 times even after I've stopped answering her.

Is it normal to repeat sentences over and over? Its not the same as parroting because they're her own sentences.

Yup, very normal. Toddlers are just annoying. My 3 year old still does it. "mum, did you know that this is lavender? L is for LAVENDER, did you know this is lavender? did your know it is lavender and L is for lavender??" YES!!!

Lol that's good to know! I've never noticed another toddler doing it before so was starting to worry!

She was a late talker, only just had her speach "explosion" recently so maybe she's just finally enjoying being able to communicate what she's thinking?

Enjoy a good year of it! Gets worse before it gets better and then they start to question "why?" over everything and actually demand a proper explanation which results in more "but why?" questions! Then they repeat what you have said as if they are teaching you and they will tell you these interesting facts in random places. Usually in an echoy public toilet they ask "so.....when you stand on a snail it bubbles? was it having a bath mummy??"

:rofl: oh no, that's what I've got to look forward to! Olivia doesn't understand the concept of the word why yet, thankfully. If I ask her why she doesn't want to go to bed or why she didn't eat her dinner she just stares at me blankly (or just repeats the original statement over and over!) :haha:

Oh I get that too! It drives me round the bend! Dominic will ask me "Doing?", "I am preparing your lunch". "Doing?", "I am preparing your lunch". "Doing?" " I am preparing your lunch". "Doing?", " I am preparing your lunch".
And yesterday he yanked out and broke the cord on the old iPhone we use coupled with speakers to play their nursery and Disney songs to them (All. Day. Long. :wacko:). So now there is no music. I could replace the cord of course but I want him to learn the natural consequences of his breaking the cord. So: "Music on?" "No music, you broke the phone, remember?". As soon as I finish the sentence:"Music on?" "No music, you broke the music, remember?".
GAHHHH!

My son is nearly 5 and still does this, along with why etc . We get breaks every now ' then but not often.

Very normal and very annoying

Both mine do it still until they get the answer they're looking for

Yes totally normal! My 4 1/2 yr old talks constantly and a lot of it is either him repeating the same thing over and over until he gets the response he wants or the dreaded 'whhhhyyyy?' Over and over.

I'm looking forward to the teenage grunts for peace and quiet tbh!

Dd1 does this. Drives. Me. Potty. Glad it's normal but hope dd2 skips this stage!

:haha: We're not there yet but it made me think of the famous 'Why?'...'Why?'...'Why?'

def common!!! is driving me mad- she askes for something and just repeats it over and over and doesnt even give me chance to get it or do it etc.....
crazy kids

My son will repeat himself even when he gets the answer he wants.

"Can I have a grilled cheese?" "Sure."

Repeat 20 times until I finally say "if you ask me one more time, no more grilled cheese!!"

Oh yes! We've had this since Ciara started talking at 18 months. Repeats everything over and over. She talks ALL DAY LONG! It's not even questions, she just repeats something until you say it after her a kot of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->