Toilet training at night?

amytrisha

Mother of boys.
Reaction score
Finley has been toilet trained for 2 years now, but he still wears a pull up to bed and it’s usually wet by the morning. How do I know when he’s ready to use the toilet through the night? Do I just chance it or is there some sort of sign I should be looking out for?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

As far as Im aware its not something you can "train". The body has to produce a hormone that suppresses urine production overnight. Commonly takes longer for boys. Incidentally the hormone production is less efficient as we age which is why older people pee more overnight!!
Our lo was toilet trained at just over 2 but wore a pull up until he was over 4 and a half. We used to take him to the loo when we went to bed and prompted him to use the loo on waking. More to make him think of when he had a full bladder to use the loo.
We just did that until he routinely woke with a dry pull up. He had a dry pull up for a couple of weeks before we took it away. When we switched to no pull up hes never had an accident. We continued to take him to the loo before we went to bed for a few months. But we noticed he would wake routinely to use the loo overnight so stopped that in Nov. Hes never once had an accident. I think we just waited until he was ready and didnt put any pressure on him. We told him it would happen itself. Soooo much easier than daytime training!!

Yeah I heard it was a hormone too that’s why I was wondering if there’s any signs. I’m not sure if he’s peeing in it when he first wakes up or if he’s doing it during the night 🤷🏻*♀️
But it’s reassuring your LO was 4.5, still time yet haha x

Yeah I heard it was a hormone too that’s why I was wondering if there’s any signs. I’m not sure if he’s peeing in it when he first wakes up or if he’s doing it during the night 🤷🏻*♀️
But it’s reassuring your LO was 4.5, still time yet haha x

Yeah we were similar as Im sure our lo was doing his morning pee in the pull up for a while. We just talked about going to loo first thing. When we heard him up we used to race through to take him. He got in the habit himself as we told him a pull up isnt the same as a nappy and cant hold much pee.
Im sure I read GPs wont even look at it as an issue until a lo is 7 so your lo is still young.

The only signs for mine were dry pull-ups in the morning. Once they had a week of waking up dry I tried without them and that was that. :)

My eldest was almost 5 (but only day trained at 4.5) and my youngest was 3.5. :)

My son at 4 told me one night when he was getting ready for bed that he would like to wear pants for bed that night and not pull ups well it worked waiting until he was ready cus was dry from then! You will know when ready for sure

Thomas was very late toilet training and he was 5 when he was trained overnight. He stopped weeing in his pull ups overnight. He has a pee before bed and usually that’s enough to get him through the night. Sometimes he gets up for another pee. I don’t let him take a drink to bed.

You can "chance" it when he stays dry through the night consistently enough for your liking. For example, maybe you want him dry for a week... or maybe you don't mind changing sheets every 3 nights. I waited for Violet to be dry consistently - about a week. There were definitely times when it seemed she was consistent but as soon as I let her try without, she had an accident. I just told her that it simply meant that her body wasn't ready. Sometime before 5, she started to be able to consistently keep her bed dry. However, she does get up at night to use the toilet. I can't remember when she first started being dry... I think it was before 4 and a half, because I remember that when she had some medical issues that put her briefly back in diapers, we didn't have ANY diapers for her and had to buy some.

P.S. when I say "diapers," it was "pull-ups." Same thing in my mind except that pull ups are easier to put on an older child.

The main sign was dryness at night consistently enough for me to think about trying for overnights. I figured I'd use up the rest of a box of disposable nappies we had and go from there. We never had to buy another box. Also, it got to the point where our daughter would wake in the morning and request to use the washroom, and refuse to wet her nappy. Or, insist on using the washroom at night when she already had the nappy on. I did not have to limit drinks any time of day.

She probably had about 4 or so wet accidents overnight quite spaced out and a couple where she woke up in between to finish peeing in the toilet. I still have a mattress protector pad on her mattress but it's honestly not needed anymore.

My first was dry in the day from just over the age of 2 but still in pull ups at night until nearly 5. Youngest day trained closer on 3 but dry overnight few weeks later. I really just think it's something you can't really train them to do it just happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->