Toileting help please !

willow25

Gracies mummy !!!
Reaction score
Hi, my LO turns 4 in a couple of weeks, ( she is being diagnosed for asd ) about a month ago I talked to her about using the toilet - we've tried a few times, but always with immense resistance, but this time she seemed ok , so we got lots of lovely knickers, kiddy toilet paper, and training seats for the toilet. Anyway, to my amazement its gone incredibly well, one or two initial accidents, but several weeks on she's got the bladder of an elephant! Even no nappies at night, I am so proud of her.

But poos is a totally different thing, she has always 'held on' to poos, sometimes fighting to keep them in for days, and despite her doing them in the toilet a couple of times at the start, she will not go near the toilet when she needs a poo.

Ive been told its very common for asd kids to have issues with poos, and I'm not pressuring her, just gently guiding, but its not happening at all

Any advice would be very welcome

Have you tried keeping the potty for letting her poo in? Might not seem as scary for her xx

...wish I had some.

It's clear my boy can do it sometimes, but on others he just seems completely unable. He says he doesn't feel like he needs to go, and from what I've read it's about them having difficulty hearing the signs their body gives them.

One thing we do, is to tell him to close his eyes, listen to his body, whilst we (or he) count very slowly to five. Shuts out all distractions and lets him concentrate more on his body. That can change his insistance that he doesn't need to go, and get him at least trying on the toilet.

He's been to the doctors about three times for it, but they have been no use at all. I think it may just be a matter of waiting it out, and making sure you are well supplied whilst out. :shrug:

*stalking thread*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->