told at 12wks 2 expect prem baby due to biopsy

julietz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone been told as early as 12wks to expect a prem baby? due to me having mederate cells removed last year and i had a biopsy, they took away some of my cervix, i was soon fit and healthy and after tests i was distcharged, but due to this i was told because some of the cervix was taken away it can cause a prem baby and i have to go to see the consultant in 2 wks to see if i will need a stich put in my cervic and taken out at 37 wks so i dont go in labour early, which also means i have to rest more later in pregnancy, and may even need to have a ceserian which is quite unexpected as i had my twins normal delivery and they are 7 now. If anyone has had any similar problems i would like to hear your advice and discuss outcomes as i am such a worrier.

HI
Sorry you're going through such a worrying time. There are lots of girls on here who have needed stitches (the Gestational Complications section of the forum is worth checking out).

I know that LizzieDripping will give you some great advice as she has been there herself & will understand your worries and knows loads about the subject.

I also had a biopsy some years ago but they never made the link between that and me having a premature baby at 34 weeks. I wasn't monitored at all so the fact you are being is great. I have had some cervical scans with this pregnancy but so far they have been unable to say either way if this one is likely to be prem too.

I hope you get some advice and reassurance from here, am sure you will xx

Bless you Bec for your vote of confidence :hugs: My knowledge is a result of too much spare "bed rest" time, and idle hands which stray far too often to google :haha:

Hi Juliet - as Bec says, don't panic. Did you have your twins after treatment to your cervix?

Having such surgery can leave you with a short cervix, which has the potential to open too early during pregnancy, but this is not a foregone conclusion hun. Being scanned regularly for the next few months is brilliant, because any changes will be picked up early when something can be done about it.

Incompetent cervix is so vile mainly because women don't know they have it until they lose their first baby, or like me have a baby at 18-26wks out of the blue. Once a potential problem has been detected, it is one of the few gestational complications which can be fixed. If your cervix does begin to get too short, then a stitch can be placed - and believe me they work really well.

I had my first son at term - no complications. We suspect that his traumatic birth, which tore my cervix, left it weak. When I got pregnant again, it opened without contractions and my daughter was born at 24wks. We took the decision to have another child 4 yrs later, and I had a stitch placed at 12wks. I am now 37wks prego with twin boys!! My cervix opened at the top slightly at 25wks, but the stitch prevented it opening further. The strain on it from twins is enormous, but the stitch has still held.

Bec is right, pop over to "gestastional complications", where us IC ladies offer eachother tons of support, and all the answers to your questions can be found there. Ask us anything any time, we have a wealth of info to impart - and really like to help.

Take care - you are gonna be fine xxx

Thank you so much for the wonferful advice i feel so much better, i kinda felt alone and rly worried, i have been looking for a topic about this and not found one, but now i can pop over to the correct part of the forum you told me about, thank you so much :) and wow 37wks with twins, congrats :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->