Told I have to have a VBAC - Uk

teacup

Reaction score
I had a consultant appointment today under the illusion I would be discussing when I'm having my planned c section but was told I would be having a vaginal birth (after previous Caesarian) and would be induced if I went beyond 40 weeks. I explained that I'm not going through 36 hours of labour again to just end up with another c section, but my opinion didn't seem to matter. I explained that I had the Dural tap after a failed epidural with my last birth resulting in excruciating headaches, and prolonged labour despite the hormone drip and I never got beyond 7 cm. None of it seemed to matter. I did a lot of crying as well which didn't seem to matter.

Can they really refuse a c section when you have had one before? I'm terrified of uterine abruption as well as enduring 36 hours labour resulting in another emergency c section. Xxx

That's shocking, it's called an ELECTIVE C-section for a reason. It is your right to have your birth how you want and whilst they can come up with a good arguement for why they think it's not a good idea, they surely can't outright say nope not happening? Can you contact your midwife and explain what's happened with the consultant today and that your really unhappy? So sorry you've had this experience.

Thanks for your reply. X Yes, I couldn't believe it either. Everyone I spoke to prior to the appointment, including midwives, told me that it is my decision. I think I will phone my midwife like you suggested and ask to see a different consultant. I really don't want to go through 36 hours of agony again especially with the chance of uterine abruption added to the mix. I have looked at similar stories online of women being denied c sections, one said she had to pay £250 and prove to a psychiatrist that she couldn't cope with a VBAC before being allowed an elective c section. There are also lots of news articles online saying that the NHS is putting babies lives at risk to save money, because the cost of a c section is £1700 compared to £750 for a VBAC. :cry:

Xxxx

That doesn't sound right to me. My previous birth was traumatic for me, don't get me wrong it's wasn't the worst situation and I've heard far worse stories but I was traumatised by it all the same and I've been told I can opt for a section if I want. I'm planning/hoping not to but it's good knowing I have that option. Also from what I've heard on here most people say they can't have an induction after a previous section due to, as you say, the risk of uterine abruption. I would definitely speak to your midwife and push for a second opinion.

Thank you x I phoned my midwife and have been booked in to see another consultant. She said this new one is nice, and kind. So hopefully they will let me have the birth I want. Not sure why it has to be a battle! Xxxx

Oh...that's utterly appalling, seriously!!!!

Absolutely find another consultant at once. I would also file a formal complaint against the consultant who made these statements to you.

Do NOT accept this!

Thanks Wookie, yes I was so shocked and unprepared for how he spoke to me. My next consultant appointment is in August, when I'll be 28 weeks. It's a shame I have to wait so late in my pregnancy to know what my birth will be like, I hate the uncertainty! :growlmad: xxx

I had a c section with first due to late breech and low fluid at 40wks. This time round I was told at booking appointment I would get a scan at 33 wks and another consultant appt then to discuss delivery as at that week they can book elective c section . I had my 33wk appointment this week. I was able to tell them I wanted elective c section the consultant even said I'm not here to change your mind just to go over the procedure and sign the consent form. I was booked for 39th week there and then. If I go into labour beforehand I will try vbac (didn't labour at all last time) but I could also decide to c section if I change my mind at the start.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your consultant. A friend of mine had the same up until.about 36 weeks or so the consultant said vbac but she insisted with c section and got booked in. Hopefully you can get the birth you want by seeing the other consultant.

Thanks, sounds like your experience with your consultant was a lot nicer than mine. It must be a thing with my particular hospital. The first generic letter I received at the beginning of my pregnancy was about how a repeat c section isn't necessary and VBACs are now considered a safe and recommended option. They really seem to be pushing the VBAC birth. Two of my friends are having VBACs, though I tend to not discuss it much with them as we have different experiences and views on the matter. In fact one of my friends is over the age of 40 and has chosen to have her VBAC at home, which is literally the opposite of my choice! I just want my baby to arrive safely. Xxxx

Thank you x I phoned my midwife and have been booked in to see another consultant. She said this new one is nice, and kind. So hopefully they will let me have the birth I want. Not sure why it has to be a battle! Xxxx
Good luck.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->