Told one thing, then another.

L

Laura--x

Is there really no right answer to whether early weaning is bad or not??

Ive read many posts on here about early weaning,some people do it off their own backs.. some people advised from hv's/drs.

I asked my hv about it the oher day, and she said its a real big nono to wean before 6 months. Something to do with their intenstines not being mature enough to cope with thicker substances than milk, and that it builds up the chances of getting allergies.

I was also told this by 2 women who work in my local childrens centre who do weaning support groups ect.

SO confusing!

ye it is confusing esp people have weaned before 6 months and had no problems.

the best thing to do is try hold out as long as possible until your completely sure they are ready and showing several signs, also if you have a family of allergies and intolerances maybe urge side of caution when starting,

my hv said she has to say 6 months but recognises some babies will need a bit extra before 6 months, and she said i was fine to wean Rhys when i did.

i think there's weaning with a few spoons of rice here and there and giving a whole bowl of mixed veg. its all about moderation

xx

Some professionals do recommend early weaning, but often I think they are working on outdated guidance.

I've not seen any reputable bodies that recommend early weaning, but many who say to wait till 6 months.

Some good information:
https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

I also read somewhere that weaning due to reflux masks the outward symptoms but doesn't have any positive effect for LO. Can't remember where though!

I think the best think to do is read, read and read, then make up your own mind.

I would read up as much as you can, and decide what is best for your baby hun. I remember being very confused too when niamh was about four months but once the ball starts rolling its fine :hugs: You're her Mummy and you'll make the right decision for her.

My HV actually said the other day to do what you feel right fr y our baby, she knows guidelines have changed, but we don't all follow suit. Which i thought was nice, as she realises baby's are different instead of shouting at me!

i started at 4 months but rafaella was not ready she wouldnt take to it . i believe your baby will tell you when they ready

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->