Tongue tie

spicyorange

Reaction score
My friends daughter had a baby a couple of weeks ago, they kept her in hospital for a week because they weren't happy that baby was feeding well, eventually they discharged her and a week later (12 days old) after agony trying to feed and many tears it's finally been discovered baby has a significant tongue tie stopping him feeding. The midwife has told her they won't snip it in the nhs here (Edinburgh) so if she wants it fixed then she has to pay private. She has switched to formula (I know she could express but on top of health problems she is experiencing this is a bit much and I don't think mentally she can cope with that right now).
I'm really shocked that despite being told that the tie could cause speech problems and might need an op when older and stopping her bf she can't have it done on the nhs. Has anyone heard of this before??
My nct breastfeeding advisor said they just snip them.
I'm really angry on her behalf, she is a young mum and it just seems like she is getting bullied. I'm desperate to give my baby the best but what if something like this happens to me. It shouldn't happen to anyone.why should she have to pay (she can't afford it)

I'm in England but my dd's tongue tie was done on the Nhs as it was causing feeding problems (nipple damage and pain). With my ds, who was also tongue tied, they wouldn't refer me as he was gaining weight (as was dd) - despite pain feeding. So I had it done privately.Where I live midwives are not allowed to refer but health visitors can (which was who did mine). It's such a simple procedure when they are so young, it's silly that they don't just do it.

I hadn't heard that, but what procedures are supported where can vary even from county to county, just like the postcode lottery on what medications are deemed affordable.

I am quite shocked though as Scotland is quite progressive it its bf legislation AND tongue tie can affect bottle feeding too, so a baby could be at risk if they can't manage either effectively!

June 24th a Scotish MP addressed a parliamentary gathering about bf and need for increased support. If this is your ?MP the. Writing to her might be one way to challenge this?

Poor girl :( My daughter had a very significant tongue tie too - right to the tip. The pain was dreadful, everytime I fed her I would cry.

I really feel for your friend - how horrible! It would be so much better if they would just do it while baby is still small, it can indeed cause speech issues and also dental decay (not being able to lick food out of your teeth etc) and apparently when done on a child or adult requires a couple of stitches. And even with bottle feeding, a tongue tie can mean that baby isn't transferring milk as well as they could be due to their tongue not moving in the correct way - baby may face slow weight gain issues :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->