Tongue tie?

Lou+Bubs

Mummy + Expecting #2
Reaction score
So my dd has a tongue tie, the midwife in hospital picked it up. We were told not to worry if it wasn't causing any problems. Dd is 5 1/2 weeks and is a content little girl, feeds every 3-4 hours and we do get a good stretch in the night also gaining weight. The only thing is I've ended up putting her on number 3 teats after moving up as she was falling asleep a lot on the bottles and taking forever to finish a feed, she takes the teats well. Like on the other teats she makes some noises while sucking and is a really windy baby.
Tonight I've been looking into tongue tie with bottle fed babies and some of the things I've mentioned can be caused by tongue tie has any one got any experience with this? Thanks

DD2 had tongue tie.Didn't bother her with feeding Sometimes they can't suck on the teat properly because of the restriction .

We decided to get hers clipped. Took two seconds and she fed immediately after it. Little blister disappeared few days later. Maybe you could look into this if your worried?. Hope all goes well xx

DD is tongue tied and while it hasn't affected weight gain, up until we started weaning, feeding was a nightmare! She was also on stage 3 tests pretty quickly. She would constantly latch and unlatch, and kick and scream so 7oz bottles would take around an hour :nope: Thankfully it has loosened as she's gotten older so it's not as much of an issue now but her surgeon will cut it when she turns 1. No one believed that her tongue tie was causing so much issue as she was gaining, meaning that by the time we seen someone about it, we were told she was too old to have it cut without anaesthetic. If you're concerned, getting it cut would help! Speak to someone as soon as possible and hopefully she'll be young enough to just get it snipped :flower:

Thank you, I have mine and dd 6 week review next week so going to push to get it cut. She is on dr browns so shouldn't be as windy as she is, the burps are like adult burps ��.

We tried Dr Browns but didn't like them that much and her latch was so poor. We now use MAM and she gets on so much better with them due to the teat shape - she still dribbles a lot though :dohh:

I would get it sorted because it can cause problems later down the line with eating solids and speech.
My son had a tongue tie and he had issues with colic and reflux. We got it revised at three months of age.

My DD2 was tongue tied and bottle fed and everyone I spoke to said that because she's not breastfeeding there's no need to get it cut. WRONG. We went through test sizes so quickly and even on a 3 it could take anything up to 2 hours to get 5oz in her because she'd get so tired from trying to hold the bottle in her mouth that she'd fall asleep. And then she'd only sleep for short bursts before she woke up hungry again. Aside from that she was such a slow gainer, it wasn't until I took her to a drop in clinic to get weighed that it was pushed for it to be cut and that was down to the HV that was on that day. We got it done on the NHS and we did wait 3/4 months. It took 2 seconds and I've never heard a scream like it. It wasn't nice to see at all, and the way she bled after was scary. BUT, she had a bottle straight away, no problems feeding and we immediately went from 5oz bottles to 7oz bottles that she'd finish in 10 minutes flat. Definitely worth having done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->