Tonight will be our last nursing session :(

Jokerette

Mama of 2
Reaction score
I've made the extremely emotional decision that tonight will be my last nursing session with my 19 month old. We had such a wonderful experience with challenges at first, overcoming obstacles, and amazing bonding... but I am feeling the time has come for us to stop. As much as I love giving him this source of nutrition and comfort I am ready to be done. I have been doing gentle weaning for the last 3 months getting him down from 8 sessions to only 2 or 3. Then this past week we started eliminating the bedtime nursing session with help from my husband. It is the early morning sessions and the daycare pickup that will be the hardest I think. I know in my heart I am feeling drained and done, but I am feeling so guilty and I am close to tears just typing this. I feel so guilty because I know it will be hard for him. I worry I will miss it too. It's hard to believe tonight I will tell him that its our last time. I know even though I am ready to wean him i will look back and miss it :(

I know tonight will be bittersweet. I am looking forward to nursing him for our last nursing cuddles, but I'm also looking forward to the change it will bring to our relationship once we get past the tough transition of weaning.

I just read this and it made me feel better... I have this book:

"In MOTHERING YOUR NURSING TODDLER, Norma Jane Bumgarner suggests deciding to either be happy with weaning or happy with nursing. Leaving the land of ambivalence makes a big difference for many mothers. If you are feeling defensive, obstinate, powerless, or guilty about weaning, you're probably also feeling ambivalent. Once you believe in your heart weaning is positive for you and your child, weaning will most likely proceed smoothly. How do you get to a place where the decision feels right? Over time, when you are struggling, learning, and looking for answers, things slowly become clearer. "

:hugs: :hugs:

That book excerpt is so right!

Maybe you will miss it...but you will see that your relationship is as close and loving as it ever was (if not more so, since it sounds like you were feeling ready to be done with nursing). Nothing is quite like nursing but you and your son will develop other ways of getting what each of you got out of it. You will adjust to the new way of things and you will still cuddle, and you will still be his one and only, irreplaceable, comforting mama. He is lucky that you were able to provide this for so long and that you put in the time and effort to help him make the transition. He is ready!! <3

I did it I did it I did it!!! I put him to bed all by myself! No crying! He asked to nurse and I said "Remember nursing is all done" and he looked at me and said "Nurse?" like he wasn't sure he was understanding. So I said it again and then I said "do you want to rock with mama and your lovey? and he said "yeah". so we rocked for about 10 mins then i said are you ready for your crib? and he said "yeah" and now hes in there sleeping. no tears!!! oh my goodness!! I'll update tomorrow morning with how he does in the morning <3

What a big boy. :cloud9: Your intuition was just right...he really is ready!

Congratulations, maybe I am a hormonal pregnant lady right now but I had tears in my eyes reading that. :hugs:

THANK YOU LADIES! he did great this morning too :)

I'll be posting updates in my Breastfeeding journal:
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...fing-struggle-success-11-months-counting.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->