Tonuge tie and breastfeeding?

shellideaks

Mummy to 4
Reaction score
DS2 came home from NICU on Monday, he was having bottles of expressed milk in the hospital but I wanted to try and get him used to the breast once we were home. He has a lot of trouble feeding from me, he constantly latches on and off, waves his mouth around like crazy and can only seem to get my nipple in his mouth. He can easily spend 20 minutes on me and then drink a full bottle. If I pump after he's been on me, I still get pretty much the same amount from each breast (which I get just when I pump), suggesting he's not really getting any milk out.

My midwife came out on Tuesday and checked him over, she said he has a tongue tie and that could be causing issues. She's referring him to a local children's hospital to see about getting it snipped. I'm really annoyed they didn't pick up on it in the NICU, he was there for 3 weeks nearly and no one checked his tongue. He could of had it snipped whilst he was still in there if they'd looked.

I'm continuing to pump for now cos breastfeeding seems to frustrate him (for obvious reasons) but my question is, is it possible to try and get him on the breast once his tongue tie as been sorted? It could be a month or so down the line and I'm worried that after having bottles for that long, he will refuse the breast?

I'm in the same boat, baby was given formula in hospital as he had dodgy blood sugar and I'm now expressing all his feeds. He was diagnosed with tongue tie, but the hospital didn't do anything about it, they said wait and see if it affects his speech when older! I spoke to my midwife and explained how he can't latch properly, she said that it will be the tongue tie and has referred us to alder hey hospital to get it sorted. She said once fixed lots of babies can latch straight away, I'm hoping it sorts our problems, but if not I guess at least he's getting the goodness from the expressed milk (but I've got everything crossed that it does work and bubs latches!) :)

I'm being referred to Alder Hey too. Small world :haha: Sorry to hear you're having the same problem too. Here's hoping both our babies get it sorted soon :)

He's had a rough start hasn't he :(
My LO had his tongue tie snipped at 6 weeks, I bf him for 10 months then. It's definitely possible, you have a good chance if you have a good supply from all the pumping. Good luck x

He has, it's not been the smoothest ride but we're slowly getting there lol.

Thank you! My supply is good from what I can tell (pumping around 35oz a day and freezing some too) so hopefully he will be able to transition over. I'm trying lots of skin to skin and occasionally trying him on the breast just to hopefully keep him interested :)

My baby had a tongue and lip tie which were sorted within 5 days (we are in the US) of his birth. Before that I found using a nipple shield helped a bit, have you tried that? Really I had to perceiver and allow LO to learn how to latch. While you wait on the apt definetly keep offering the breast first and really persevere.

Also, you mentioned your baby was in the NICU. Was he/she full term? I have heard baby having a small mouth could be an issue.

I have got a nipple shield and I did try him a couple of times but he still seemed to struggle.

He was born at 32+6 and gestationally should be 36+2 today. He's about 5lbs at the moment so being small could definitely be a factor.

check this for info that may help

https://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

I have just posted something similar!

Ds had a bad infection at birth and was readmitted, the feeding team said he had tongue tie which wasn't helping his poor feeding but when the manager of team checked she said its not too bad so didnt do anything :-(

He's now 15 weeks old and gona have to find a way to get it done quickly or go private!
Funnily enough I live minutes from alder hey!!!

I have got a nipple shield and I did try him a couple of times but he still seemed to struggle.

He was born at 32+6 and gestationally should be 36+2 today. He's about 5lbs at the moment so being small could definitely be a factor.

You may find his mouth is just a bit too little still. If you can I'd strongly recommend seeing a lactation consultant.

I have just posted something similar!

Ds had a bad infection at birth and was readmitted, the feeding team said he had tongue tie which wasn't helping his poor feeding but when the manager of team checked she said its not too bad so didnt do anything :-(

He's now 15 weeks old and gona have to find a way to get it done quickly or go private!
Funnily enough I live minutes from alder hey!!!

That seems silly, can't understand why they've not done anything if the feeding team said it wasn't helping :wacko: Can you not go to your doctors and see if they'll refer you to Alder Hey? My health visitor has said the referral doesn't usually take very long.

You may find his mouth is just a bit too little still. If you can I'd strongly recommend seeing a lactation consultant.

I've got the midwife and health visitor helpng me with it at the moment. And a breast feeding support group too. There's a La Leche League group that meets locally on the 1st Saturday of every month so I'm gonna pop along to that and see if I can get any hands on help.

Shellideaks is your little boy called Nate????
Iv just saw you live in widnes too so does my sister!

I know I wish they would have done it then! I'm at my wits end here he's struggling to take a bottle but I havnt got enough milk left to feed him myself!

Yeah he is :) Oh really, whereabouts does she live?

Aw bless him, that's no good. I'd demand they sort it if I was you, they can't let him struggle to eat :(

My youngest is Nate too! I havnt heard it around here! My boyfriend chose it!

She lives on the newish estate by upton rocks!

I think my supply has all but gone now I'm devastated! Iv been feeding him from me but there's just nothing there but I try him on a bottle n he just can't take it I think he's had 2 bottles all day. :-(

My youngest is Nate too! I havnt heard it around here! My boyfriend chose it!

She lives on the newish estate by upton rocks!

I think my supply has all but gone now I'm devastated! Iv been feeding him from me but there's just nothing there but I try him on a bottle n he just can't take it I think he's had 2 bottles all day. :-(

Great name choice ;) I got it from Gossip Girl, always loved the name so when I found out we were having a boy I begged OH and he agreed :)

That's right near me, I live on the rough estate below Upton Rocks :rofl: Was in the Morrions Local earlier today actually!

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I've gotta say this breastfeeding thing is hard work, first time I've done it and it's shocked me by how much effort it all is. I'm pretty much exclusively pumping although he had a bit of a feed off of me earlier with the help of a breast shield. Have you tried any supplements? I got some fenugreek from Amazon and had an increase in supply.

Also what bottles do you use? I was using Avent for Nate but NICU advised me to get Wilko's own bottles (3 for £1.75) cos they have softer teats and are easier to drink from. He drinks much better with those. x

She lives right behind the morissons! Small world!

Iv been using mam bottles as they were the only ones my other 2 would have but I tried asda teats too n he's just as bad!

I'm gona go to holland n Barrett tomorrow for some fenugreek n mothers milk if I can! He just can't settle after a bottle n I hate it! Wish I'd just got thru the pain now!

I breastfed my other little boy for over 6 months I actually couldn't get him off!

I'm gutted :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->