too late for a homebirth, too big and child in the house still?

Mummy2Asher

mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
ive just decided to try and see if we can have a homebirth, but im 35 weeks this week, is that too late?

also the baby is looking to be big at just under 10lbs, so im not sure whether i should try for a homebirth incase he gets stuck.

we wanted a homebirth in the 1st place but my last labour nearly ended up in a c section so its worrying incase something happend again.
also if it was night my son would be in the house, in the day the mother in law can take him out but im worried about him hearing noises etc is having him at home not a good idea?

sorry for so many questions!!

Hi there,

35 weeks is certainly not to late to plan a home birth, but you will need to contact your midwife pronto so that they can start the process of giving you a home visit and making sure they put enough midwives on their on call rota to cover you. I know of several other mums who have left it even later so I'm sure it can be arranged.

The size issue may be something they pick up on as a reason for not supporting you, but it depends how honest they are about the unreliability of ultrasound scans for size estimation. I had a client once that was estimated a 9lb baby (she was very petite) and she came out at 5lb 11oz (full term). Even the more cautious of studies indicate that there can be a good 2lb window either way, but often it can be more so don't let that fact alone put you off. Discuss with your midwife the relative risks of the baby being too big. In most cases of shoulder dystocia (which is what most cases of a baby getting stuck actually are) they can still get the baby out vaginally by using certain manoeuvres and an episiotomy. It's not pleasant but it can be done at home. And remember, lots of big babies are born vaginally all the time, without any problems at all. Ask the questions, see what they say, do some research of your own and decide how much of a risk you really think it is for you and whether that's too much or not. Only you will know the answer to that one once you've got all the information to hand.

As for your son, if you're in your own home you can play that however you want. He might like to see his brother being born - and if you think you might be comfortable with that then have a look at some of the excellent books that are out there for children about home birth. Our daughter loves 'Hello Baby' and actively wants to see her brother/sister come out of 'mummy's bottom' like she interprets the illustration in the book. You could ask your Mum if you can call her in the night too, to be around if he does wake up. You can make her up a bed in another room so she isn't part of proceedings if you don't want her to be but you know your son will be cared for whatever happens. This would also be helpful if you did need to transfer to hospital during the birth because she'd already be there to look after him rather than your husband having to wait at home until she got there and leaving you to go to hospital alone in an emergency. I intend to have my parents around for this birth for those same reasons.

It all seems very much a possibility from where I'm standing. :) Good luck with it!

Gina. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"