• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too long in the pram harms child's brain.

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
I've just read this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...pushchairs-hamper-speech-physical-skills.html

So how long is too long?

I'm sick of reading on a daily basis how everything I do seems to be harming my LO.

I'm sick of reading things like this too! Especially as it says nothing about how long. I'd say so long as they have plenty of time to play & aren't being dragged shopping every day it's fine.

What did make me smile is that the mum in the pic has on jeans & big coat yet her son has a t-shirt & shorts on now!!

I know! i hate all these articles, there is always something we are doing wrong. I think its pretty common sense, ie don't have them in a pram for 8 hours solid :)

It is a vague article but my impression is that it's basically just stating that children need interaction to develop properly. That strollers are fine for getting from point A to point B, but that other than that you should take the child out, let them explore, interact with you ect. That makes sense to me. I think it's aimed at those using the stroller as a way to contain baby for large chunks of time with them sitting there awake, still and alone. But again, it is vague so maybe I'm wrong.

I took it to mean that it's harmful for their development when they don't get any interaction from their mom or carer. If that's what the article is trying to say then that makes sense...but I doubt that being out and about is bad for my LO!

She gets loads of fresh air and sunshine and I walk her around for a couple of hours while she sees things and I talk to her about what she's looking at...then once she falls asleep I sit somewhere for a coffee and read my book while she naps in the fresh air. We're out about 3 hours a day and I seriously doubt that playing on her playmat is better for her than going out and walking on the beach!

Initial reaction was "what are the Daily Fail scaremongering now?" but actually it makes sense. I read it to nean children need interaction and there's a danger some aren't getting this. I don't think a short trip out in the pram/pushchair is an issue at all - it's more long lengths of time in the pram without parental interaction. I used the pushchair most days until DD was 12 months (sling sometimes), then she walked more though we still used the pushchair a bit. I always kept it parent facing and chatted to her as we walked and in cafes etc I got her out to sit on a chair.

Sometimes I see a child in a pushchair in a coffee shop, facing away from the parents just staring off into dpace bored. That's who the article is aimed at imo.

At this rate, it's a miracle any baby is functional :winkwink: :haha:
I'm just so done with reading these things. Use logic, be sensible, and don't overdo things and kiddo will be fine. That's my rule. :haha:

As a general rule of parenting, use your common sense, not the Daily Mail.

Too long would be putting them in the pushchair in the corner facing the wall whilst you sit and watch television. Or spending 5 hours browsing round Primark and chatting on your phone.

Not too long would be putting them in the pushchair to get from A to B and pointing out the occasional dog or aeroplane, or whilst you interact with them somewhere like the zoo.

As a rule of thumb if the parenting advice comes from the Daily Mail, i ignore it.
I think its very obvious what would be too long in a pram and whats a perfectly healthy amount.
:)

There's really an article about this? :haha: I think it all goes without saying tbh.

There's definitely truth behind the story (article should not ever be a term associated with the DM!). We live in a generation of container babies....pram, car seat, swings, bouncers, jumpers, walkers....it's easy to have your baby strapped into something for a long time but it shouldn't really be news that this can be damaging?

Babies need all types of stimulation, once in a while won't hurt.

There's definitely truth behind the story (article should not ever be a term associated with the DM!). We live in a generation of container babies....pram, car seat, swings, bouncers, jumpers, walkers....it's easy to have your baby strapped into something for a long time but it shouldn't really be news that this can be damaging?

Babies need all types of stimulation, once in a while won't hurt.

I agree. Also many prams ate forward facing etc :(

I've just read this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...pushchairs-hamper-speech-physical-skills.html

So how long is too long?

I'm sick of reading on a daily basis how everything I do seems to be harming my LO.

Thats what happens if you are looking at the daily fail. :winkwink: I refuse to click. But I wouldnt pay much attention to this mum hating rag.

I know people who put their babies in the pushchair outside the back door for ages or in front of the TV, from a very young age and when these kids get older the effects are obvious xx

But who really leaves their baby to look at nothing at all while wandering around in a stroller? :shrug:

I walked all over the place with Claire in ours, like other people mentioned she was thrilled with all the sights/smells of being out and about, I'd use the stroller to walk to parks we couldn't walk to if I had her walk along with me (let alone before she was able to actually walk herself) and she interacted with other kids at the park. Or we'd walk to a coffee shop and her and I would sit at a table and she'd point out things and I'd respond.

This article is ridiculous IMHO. Maybe if your kid is spending the majority of their day strapped in one and not getting ANY interaction whatsoever that's not so good. I however have yet to meet one parent who used it like that. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->