Too many days missed

M

MrsRabbit

DS' school has a 20 days of school missed a year. He missed 10 by his first report card and he's missed at least five since then. He's 4 and it's a preschool - a 2 year preschool program. I was told more than 2o days missed they could kick him out. Yet I'm told in the next breath if he's having trouble breathing to keep him home. Also they have a no temp or vomiting for 24 hours rule.

:shrug:

I got attitude from the lady who answers the phones about him missing his 4th day. I'm like well the next time he had diarrhea and doesn't make it to the bathroom she could clean it up because I know the teachers don't want to. She hung up on me.

Should I ask the school how they'll treat this rule? I'd hate for him to be kicked out he loves school and it's helping his sensory disorder and he's catching up for his fine motor skills which he's still behind.

Does your child have a IEP or IFSP? Probably not if unless they are special needs. BUT I went thru this with my youngest 1st year of school and they should not be able to kick your child out. I would get a DR's note and then I would also have the school put it in writing that they said if you child is having breathing problems to keep the child at home have them sign and date it and put it in the child's file and keep a copy for your self and they next time they threaten to kick your child out show them the letters.

Can you ask to speak to the head? have a meeting with him/her so they are aware of ds difficulties.

I wanted to get DS an IEP but I get the run around. Children are only considered "special needs" if they are at least 1 year behind in speech. Which DS isn't. Not even close. I don't know how to get an IEP because whenever I ask the school says he'd never get one.

I do have an asthma action plan and an allergy action plan. I wanted a 504 for his asthma but got the run around for this too.

My son has Asperger's and is above average in speech and language as well as in many areas. It was our choice to mainstream his schooling. We could have chosen to have an IEP as long as he was in sped instead of mainstream. If they try to tell you you can't have one you should see someone in your doctors office. They usually have someone to help parents who have a new diagnosis for their kids through the paperwork etc. Has your son been officially diagnosed with a sensory problem like SPD or ASD or PDD or something like that? If so you are able to get an IEP legally for school. I'm not sure about how it works in preschool. I haven't had my kids in a preschool that had attendence so I don't know. If you have a diagnosis for you son it could be as simple as having a lawyer type up a letter with their letterhead and have them mention something about american's with disabilities act. Many lawyers will do this for free or for a small fee. I hope you get these things resolved soon. How nerve wracking eh?

On the asthma note, is it not well controlled? My youngest son was having very bad asthma problems when he was in daycare and we took his nebulizer there with him in the mornings and they had a schedule of when he was to get it. A lot of his classmates had them too so maybe you could work something out with them that way? Also with the asthma thing my son was on xopenex, pulmicort, and advair and no joke after 3 months of eating organically he was off of everything and still is so that may be something to try too. Hope this helps and chin up!

Adanma

Talk to your child Dr. We usually get referals from Drs and the do testing. If the school will not test for Develpmental Delays there are other ways to go about getting it done.

Yeah DS would so not need a special ed classroom. He can funtion and thrive in a typical classroom with a little bit of help.

DS goes to school from 8:45-12:45 including bus ride here and back. He takes his Advair in the morning and before bed. So they have a fast acting inhaler but he doesn't usually need treatments during school. If he's having so much trouble that he's having to use treatments we keep him home. They don't allow inhalers on the bus and sometimes he's not as clear as he should be as far as saying "I am having trouble breathing" and when it's bad he can't. He gets really quiet.

DS was DXed a couple weeks before he turned 3 with SPD among other things. We see a Developmental Ped every 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->