Too much B12?

Nadja86

Reaction score
I eat a mainly vegetarian diet (I'll only eat meat once or twice a week), and a few years ago my OH was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency. Since then, we've both taken high doses of B12 on and off (around 1,000 mcg/day). I never really bothered to read much about it because my understanding was that you would just pee out any excess and I figured it was best to get as much as possible. So I have been taking this dose throughout my pregnancy without really thinking about it (I'm at 11 weeks now), and yesterday I decided to start Googling it... It turns out that it's waaaaay above the daily recommended intake, but there is no evidence that taking a dose that high has ever caused any negative effects. But to be safe they do not recommend that pregnant women take this dose because they "don't know" what the effects would be.

So I'm freaking out a bit, worrying that I've really been overdoing it on the B12 and I'm concerned that I could have harmed my baby. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'll talk to my doctor about this the next time I see her, but I won't for another month. It's also impossible to reach her by phone.

Thanks for the help again, ladies.

I take a daily B12 supplement that's 6,000/mcg, and have taken it with both pregnancies. None of the doctors, midwives, nurses, etc have ever mentioned any concern or told me to stop. And DD is super healthy! :flower:

(There was actually a study done a few years ago that measured B12 levels in pregnant women, and the women with the highest levels had babies that cried much less than babies from women that had normal or low amounts. So that extra might be a good thing! (It proved true for my first))

Wow, thanks! That's reassuring. You're not taking it for a deficiency, just as a supplement?

Yep! It improves my energy and mood, so I just take it daily with a prenatal - started back in late 2012 and just continued it since it worked for me. :)

I don't think its too much, 1000mcg is 1mg right??

I was taking 100mg for nausea, some women take 200mg a day

Im down to 50mg per day now, my nausea is easing off. My midwife said it was fine to take, your body just pees out what you don't need anyway

I don't think its too much, 1000mcg is 1mg right??

I was taking 100mg for nausea, some women take 200mg a day

Im down to 50mg per day now, my nausea is easing off. My midwife said it was fine to take, your body just pees out what you don't need anyway

Are you sure you take that dose in mg, not mcg? That's really high, in all my research I didn't even see doses that high. The RDI is 2.8 mcg for pregnant women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->