Too much folic acid?

kazine

Meatballs for Two!
Reaction score
I was put onto 5mg of Folic Acid due to being on certain medication, recently came off that medication due to TTC. Technically on 5.4 I suppose as I'm taking pregnacare too.

Now that I'm off the medication should I sack the 5mg tablets or not?

Try to take folate and not folic acid if you can. Folic acid in specific can have negative effects and is much harder for your body to metabolize and absorb than folate. Folate supplements contain methyl folate which is much closer to the natural form you get when eating food and is best if you can get it.

If you were given the folate by the Doctor, keep on taking that. I would try to find a prenatal without the folate. I actually just read up on this because I realized I was taking over twice as needed. The only thing I could find was that it could mask a b-12 deficiency but that it's also uncommon for women at child bearing age.

I used to take 1 mg of folic acid everyday due to MTX for my RA, but I went off of the MTX in march and took both the 1 mg and my prenatal while we waited for the drug to leave my system (4 months was my Drs recommendation), he wasn't concerned since folic acid is a water soluble vitamin and you can't really overdose on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->