Too much milk? Reflux? Sick?

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
Tuesday night I gave DS (was 7do, now 9do) vitamin d drops. Shortly after he threw it all up and the rest of the night he spit up a lot frequently. Wednesday he was a little spitty but what I would consider normal. But then last night he again started spitting up a lot more. It looks like he is vomiting or trying to. In the middle of the night after a feeding I would burp and put in the bassinet but I could hear what sounded like him choking so I put him in our bed with his head elevated. It helped the spit up become more reasonable. Now this morning he is back to making choking sounds and spitting up a lot in a variety of positions.

Do I need to be more concerned? Call the clinic?

Any ideas of what to do to help him? I'm trying to keep his head up.

My DS has been very "spitty" from the very beginning, but does not have any other issues of concern like excessive crying that would indicate a further problem. His doctor said she thinks he is still trying to regulate how much milk he takes in and that eventually it will settle down. I would say that as long as he is happy and gaining weight I would just keep an eye on it. He may just need more time to learn how to not take in milk he does not need. However with that said... If he is crying a lot or seems restless, has a decrease in wet/ dirty diapers etc then I would call his doctor because it may be a bigger issue. I hope that helps :)

Everything else seems fine.

I'm not too concerned about spit up the increased spit up I could see being too much milk.

What about the choking? It stopped later today. Maybe he's allergic/sensitive to something I've eaten. I guess I'll just watch more.

Update for future searchers:

I took LO in at 2weeks because he had been throwing up feeds despite burping/elevating his head. Dr said it's likely reflux. LO had been eating more than is typical for a 2weeker, he makes wheezing sounds while nursing, comfort sucking frequently, often would only take a pacifier after throwing up. He also had a gunky eye likely related to him throwing up through his nose causing him to get congested which caused his eye to get gunky.

So we've had him on Zantac for almost a week and he hasn't thrown up again. If he doesn't get enough of his med he will spit up a lot more but as long as he gets enough (he hates the taste) it is normal spit up. He is less fussy, isn't eating quite as much so he isn't over eating (he would keep eating to try to soothe his throat after throwing up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->