Too thin and struggling to gain the pounds

mimelle1

Reaction score
Hi there, I am 26 and I am very keen to try for a baby but I am worried I am too thin. I'm 5'9" and weigh 8 stone 4lb.

I have alsways been thin but recently I have had few health issues causing me to lose weight ( I was over 9 stone). I have been told I only have 1 kidney and my blood pressure has been a bit high. This has been stabilised now and I really want to try for a baby while I'm still young.

Both my sisters suffered with morning sickness and both lost quite a bit of weight at the begining of their pregnancy. I am trying to put weight on just in case I have the same issues but I seem to be stuck at a certain weight no matter how much more food I am eating.

Any advice would be good, my OH keeps telling me he wants to start but he wants to be sure that I am going to be OK first. And I don't wanna start eating all the pies lol.

Thanks guys for listening

Hey hun,
Have you been to a doctor? Because generally people put on weight in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters even if they lose in the 1st. The docs may want to keep an eye on your bp and could maybe suggest something that might work for weight gain - as I think pies might just be the wrong way to do it?
All the best!

i think if u feel fit and healthy in ur self then its fine....its not like ur starving urself ..many do get mornin sickness but tend to eat little and often.....as long as u carry on eating thru the sickness i think youl be fine maybe jus speak with ur doc and ask about it.. good luck x x

I'am the same as you i contantly struggle to keep on the pounds especially when im stressed or ill, i found when i was pregnant even though i felt sick i had a reason to keep eating to stay healthy for the LO especially as i knew that i was slim and it wouldnt be helpful losing any weight. plus if i didnt eat i felt worse.
The best remedy for me to put weight back on after being stressed or ill is to stop thinking and worrying about it and then i gain it back slowly (aswell as eating more high fat healthy foods such as nuts and things).
xxx

Welcome to BnB! My advise is if you feel ready to start TTC then start trying and just make sure you eat healthily and reguarly and try not to worry too much otherwise this could make you feel stressed out and therefore affect the TTC more than your weight. I say this from experience too, I am just under 5ft 4 and I weigh 6st 8 ish (can't remember the last time I weighed myself!!!) so as you can imagine I am very small however i eat like a horse, walk about 40 minutes a day so therefore get the right amount of exercise as recommended and I am currently undergoing fertility treatment. The consultant wasn't too worried about my weight as long as I continued to eat properly and they were convinced that I didn't have an eating disorder. Also there is no proof that my infertility is linked to my low weight as I don't ovulate but have normal hormone levels so therefore just as common as people within normal weight brackets. Just wanted to share this in case it helped you feel better.

I think you could go ahead and start TTC if you wanted. Like others said even if you lose weight in the beginning you'll put it right back on later.

If ur Gp gives u the go ahead then I'd say go 4 it..! u could always start drinking some supplement shakes if u really feel 2 bad about your weight..!

get checked out by your doctor....if they support you then they will be able to monitor you throughout....

i have health probs too (arthritis) and my doctors are so caring and supportive....

luv & hugs
:hugs:

You should have a chat with your doctor, who should be able to put your mind at rest. Stressing like this won't help your chances of conceiving.
As for your weight, the important thing is to be eating healthy, lots of fruit and veg and make sure you take prenatal vits even now.
As long as you have regular cycles, there is no reason why you will have problems. Just because your sisters lost weight in their first tri, doesn't mean you will. My sister and i varied completely.
Go and see that doctor for peace of mind and good luck
xx

I def think you should see your GP he might refer you to a nutritionlist (sp)
& they can monitor you throughout TTC & PG

I agree with the girls, as long as gp has said okydokie... then why stress. If you're still convinced you should gain weight then, from my experiance (lol) I have no probs gaining weight if I'm eating too much carbs and protien. I have been on a whole grain, whole foods kick for about 1.5 yrs so I know I eat healthy, but if my carbs go out of wack I can easily gain lbs. Try tracking exactly what you eat to figure out if you may be deficiant in some areas. I use sparkpeople.com for the opposite reason, but its free and you can easily see where you're at nutrition wise. If you're not eating enough of one simple thing it can effect your weight dramaticly, either way.
Also, you could try some strength training. Muscle wieghs more, and if you tone and build a little that could get your weight up too. Although, I think the main thing is your body fat %. If I remember right, (and I could be wrong, please google my #'s) women need about 5% body fat to concieve and carry a pg. That's just science.
Sorry so long.
Good luck to you.
P

:happydance:

Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I will def book an appointment with my doc, when I have spoken to him in the past about TTC he hasn't warned me of my weight. So maybe I am worrying because its going to be the unknown. I eat healthly and regularly and I will maybe invest in some shakes, just in case.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->