Took steroids before I knew I was pregnant - scared!!

sandandsun

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the community and wanted some opinions/encouragement before I can get in to see my OB/GYN.

I just found out I'm pregnant over the weekend. (I'd be about 4.5 weeks now!) It should have been the best news of my life. We got pregnant after only one month of trying!

And then the fear set in. Just a few days before, I went to a general family doctor and received a steroid injection in my butt cheek, as well as a prescription for prednisone. I was suffering from *severe* allergies and acute bronchitis. It was so bad that I couldn't sleep or go to work for several days. The doctor was made aware that I was trying to conceive. She felt that the benefit of the steroids outweighed a small risk of taking them.

I took the prednisone for ONE day only (15 mg) before finding out I was pregnant, when I stopped taking it completely. So, I had one steroid shot and 15 mg of prednisone total.

I am worried sick and have been crying all weekend. I keep reading about the potential for increased birth defects, among other issues, when taking steroids in the first trimester, especially so early (I took them when I was exactly 4 weeks). It's terrible, but I've almost considered terminating the pregnancy because it's so early. I don't know if I can deal with waiting 20 weeks to find out if I did something to our baby. :(

Has anyone taken prednisone or had a steroid injection while in the first trimester? I appreciate any advice or help in advance!

-Worried sick mom-to-be

Lots of us infertiles are prescribed steroids in out 2ww to help with implantation and such. You're fine! And congrats!

I just got strep, am 11 weeks, and got steroids. The doctor said it would be fine. Most of these medications cause both defects when taken for weeks ya know? So don't stress it. Definitely don't kill your baby over it. You could be killing a perfectly healthy child over a very small chance of something happening. The chance is just as great all on it's own, with no medication. Also, we were all brought into this world the same way, and when most of is were born we didn't know of these risks. I see more non birth defected people than I see birth defected :)

I have issues with arthritis which I manage with steroids when I have a flare up, luckily I haven't had any flare ups during this pregnancy so I haven't taken any but I was reassured by my consultant that I could take steroids the whole way through my pregnancy with no problems if I needed to. So try and don't stress yourself.

Thank you for the quick reply. :) I have read that some individuals with certain conditions have to take them - I'm glad your doctor reassured you that they were okay the whole way through (but also glad that you haven't had any flare ups that require you to take them right now). That makes me feel better. I just know the first trimester is such a crucial time and I've read so many articles that say to absolutely avoid steroids the first 12 weeks due to birth defects. I'm trying to calm down until I see a doctor...

Thanks, HopefulMaria. You are right that it is probably a small risk... I just can't shake it for some reason. I need to stop searching on Google. That's done nothing but make me worry even more! I have read that steroids are safer the further along you are, and I'm not even 5 weeks. I'm just so scared that I made a bad decision. I really wish I would not have listened to that doctor before checking with an OB/GYN... *sigh* I appreciate the support.

I was given antibiotics which aren't recommended in pregnancy, before I was showing up positive on tests. The doctors I have seen told me that it was probably too early for any damage to have been done. I really hope that's the case. I can't take penicillin or clarythromicin so have to take icky anti bs when I'm poorly. Booo!

Thanks, HopefulMaria. You are right that it is probably a small risk... I just can't shake it for some reason. I need to stop searching on Google. That's done nothing but make me worry even more! I have read that steroids are safer the further along you are, and I'm not even 5 weeks. I'm just so scared that I made a bad decision. I really wish I would not have listened to that doctor before checking with an OB/GYN... *sigh* I appreciate the support.

Yeah. I understand your worries. Stop with Google. Once I stopped that, a million worries went away. Nothing we can do about it anyway honey :)

Lots of us infertiles are prescribed steroids in out 2ww to help with implantation and such. You're fine! And congrats!

Mammag,

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what steroids you were prescribed? It seems prednisone may be the least of my worries. I was given an injection of betamethasone, which I've read crosses into the placenta. This is really scaring me. I know I need to see my OB/GYN this week asap, but I was just wondering what steroids you have taken early in pregnancy.

Thanks again.

Prednisone is considered very very very low risk to take in early pregnancy. That's on an every day dose. Not even just one time. It mainly can cause a cleft pallet. As a normal pregnant woman. There's a 3-5 percent chance for birth defects. 1 in a thousand that the baby has a cleft pallet. While taking prednisone everyday there's a chance of 3 in a thousand. Although, they also state that, that information is based on very LOOSE scientific study. They are not sure if that is accurate. Also, the betamethasone is kinda in the same family as prednisone, and it's mostly administered for pregnant women that are going into preterm labor, and need the babies heart and lungs to develop more quickly. So, the chances of a one time administration doing anything wrong is unlikely. I'm absolutely telling you, you have nothing to worry about. Plenty of women take these steroids daily, and have healthy children.

Prednisone is considered very very very low risk to take in early pregnancy. That's on an every day dose. Not even just one time. It mainly can cause a cleft pallet. As a normal pregnant woman. There's a 3-5 percent chance for birth defects. 1 in a thousand that the baby has a cleft pallet. While taking prednisone everyday there's a chance of 3 in a thousand. Although, they also state that, that information is based on very LOOSE scientific study. They are not sure if that is accurate. Also, the betamethasone is kinda in the same family as prednisone, and it's mostly administered for pregnant women that are going into preterm labor, and need the babies heart and lungs to develop more quickly. So, the chances of a one time administration doing anything wrong is unlikely. I'm absolutely telling you, you have nothing to worry about. Plenty of women take these steroids daily, and have healthy children.

Thank you for the information and reassurance. It makes me feel better. I have read many of those same things. My main concern is that betamethasone is considered Category D in the first trimester, but I'm hoping it was taken too early to cause any harm. Anxious to see my ob/gyn this week....

With ds, I did not find out I was pregnant til about 9 weeks. A week before I found out, I'd been prescribed depakote. Depakote is up there with accutane on the bad drugs to take during pregnancy. I took three doses before discovering I was pregnant.

Bless God, DS is fine. He's a healthy almost 3year old boy.

With ds, I did not find out I was pregnant til about 9 weeks. A week before I found out, I'd been prescribed depakote. Depakote is up there with accutane on the bad drugs to take during pregnancy. I took three doses before discovering I was pregnant.

Bless God, DS is fine. He's a healthy almost 3year old boy.

So happy to hear that your little boy is fine and healthy! It's scary taking these "risky" drugs... especially before you even know you're pregnant! Hoping I have the same outcome as you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->