Torn stomach muscle and pushing

Hoolie

Reaction score
I tore a stomach muscle a few weeks ago and it's not getting any better. If I bend or turn at the wrong angle or when the baby is positioned to the front of my stomach, it's agony.

I mentioned it to my consultant at my 32 week appointment and she seemed to think it'd be better by labour day. But I am seriously beginning to doubt it and am now worried about how I'm going to be able to push. The consultant did say that it's more Uterus muscles involved but I can still envisage problems.

Has anyone else on here gone into labour with ripped muscles and if so how did you cope?

Thanks

Alex

I don't have any torn stomach muscles but wanted to give you a hug :hugs:

hi - I am interested in replies here as I have had torn abdo muscles since week 20 and they haven't got any better -worse in fact. I have been wearing doubled over tubigrip since then ; covering my entire bump but it's gotten so tight recently that I can only wear one layer now and it is just not as supportive, so the pain gets really horrendous now. I stil have 6 weeks to go, just hoping that I'll at least be able to wear one layer of tubigrip until baby is born because I am in agony with nothing at all.

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Why not try asking for a pelvis support from physio - sounds a bout weird but i suffer with sciatica and also bad ligaments stretching pains in my tummy - to the point i can't walk far and people keep asking me am i ok if i have stopped in the street to breathe! (Thinking i am in labour!)

I have this pelvic support belt that is thick white stretchy material and velcros around the bottom of my tum, around my bum area and it makes a hell of a difference.

Have you tried a wheat bag or hot water bottle? i always find buying a decent massage oil like elemis and warming it prior to massaging does help sore muscles x

hey... i kno this isnt quite the same but ive had sever divarication throughout my pregnancies and its always been quite painful.... despite having little to no abdominal muscle strength to be pushing i still managed 2 natural labours without pain relief... i couldnt tell u wether the stomach muscles hurt at the time because i wasnt so focused on it at all!! i remember being told to support the painful area with my hands.... but i forgot all that pretty much as soon as they said it lol x i think that your mind will be elsewhere.... hard to believe right now... but at the mo its the pain of that muscle injury that your focusing on.... during labour youll have your mind on something else im sure !! x

hey i think that your mind will be elsewhere.... hard to believe right now... but at the mo its the pain of that muscle injury that your focusing on.... during labour youll have your mind on something else im sure !! x

Thanks. I'm really hoping that will be the case 'cos if not I don't know how I'm going to manage.

Sorry to read of others having similar problems. It's not pleasant.

Wannabubba, that really sounds horrendous having them since 20 weeks. I can't imagine how you've managed to cope. Sometimes I can't straighten to walk. I really can't see how mine will mend whilst I am carrying as the baby is putting pressure on it and it feels like it's re-tearing all the time.

I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow about a horrible sinus infection and think I'll discuss this as well.

Thanks for all the replies.

Alex

this is for hoolie

hi i ended up with a ripped stomach and umbilical hernia when i had my twins 4 and half years ago i had umbilical hernia repaired and a mesh net put it around my muscle the muscle that ripped for me is right above my belly button pushing twins out caused it sam was bum first so think thats what did it plus i had a massive bump and they were pretty good weights i still have problems with my muscle if i ben or twist or pick anything heavy up it swells up im in pain i end up looking 6 months pregnant and when it does that i cant stand up straight its not very pleasant i want another baby but the muscle thing is worrying me god knows what it would be llike when i get a bump id be on bed rest and i dont think id be able to push i reckon id need an assisted delivery or a c section how r you now?

Thanks for the reply Sue.

I'm still in pain with the muscle btu it's not quite so breathstoppingly painful.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my LO so maybe it'll be mended by then but I doubt it as I've now had it for months and it is still painful. But at least it doesn't feel as though it's re-tearing every time I bend over.

I'll let you know how the delivery goes either on her or by PM.

Alex

Why not try asking for a pelvis support from physio - sounds a bout weird but i suffer with sciatica and also bad ligaments stretching pains in my tummy - to the point i can't walk far and people keep asking me am i ok if i have stopped in the street to breathe! (Thinking i am in labour!)

I have this pelvic support belt that is thick white stretchy material and velcros around the bottom of my tum, around my bum area and it makes a hell of a difference.

Have you tried a wheat bag or hot water bottle? i always find buying a decent massage oil like elemis and warming it prior to massaging does help sore muscles x

I have spd too ,so already have the support belt from physio but tbh tubigrip helps more due to where your abdo muscles are.

Wheat bags are fab for my spd pain, but need to be careful when putting directly onto bump -not really recommended
xx

I have ripped stomic mucles and an unbilical hernia and maybe pregnant again. was wondering if this could hurt me and the baby. does anybody know? (this all happened with my 2nd pregnancy.

I didn't push once in my first (only) labour - just let my muscles relax and do their thing. I know this sounds gross but I read hypno-birthing book and practiced not pushing when I did a poo. Just breathe and relax. It worked, I didn't tear, and birth went extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->