Tough decision...please weigh in w opinions!

wish4baby

Reaction score
My little girl is just about 13 months.
Shes been ebf since birth, no matter how hard I tried (and still try), she won't touch a pacifer, bottle, or most sippy cups (straws only).

Shes eaten solid foods since about 7 months but didn't really get an appetite until recently. Now, I'd say she eats well, but will nurse several times a day, always to fall asleep & then about 4+ times in the night (cosleeping).

My mom and sister are starting this "health" plan - THRIVE Le-Vel, maybe you've heard about it, anyways, they want me to join them. I really want to, it'd be awesome to do this all together, and since I haven't lost a pound since about 2 months pp, I kinda should do it.

But I don't know how safe it is while BF'ing. Our doctor (and the online research I've done into each ingredient) basically says there's no research/studies, so they can't say if it's safe or not. It's kind of my call...apparently it's a lot of herbs and such, supposedly healthy and full of vitamins, minimal caffeine..but I just don't know.

My sister is saying it's better than diet coke (which I'd give up) and fast foods (which I do eat but not that often).

I'm thinking - maybe I'd just reduce our breastfeding to night time only, since it'd be more than 12 hours after taking, and maybe doing just half the dose??? Ugh, I just don't know! What do you think???

I DO know that neither of us is ready to quit breastfeeding entirely, but in this case, I kinda want both :(

If these herbs are going to work then the only ways they can do it are:

Speed your metabolism
Bind with fat
Fill you with fibre so you aren't hungry

The second two wouldn't affect breastfeeding I wouldn't think, but the first is where I'd be wary.

Also ask yourself, if the herbs aren't safe for her, are they safe for you?

I don't think taking a supplement is a good long term solution for weight loss, whether or not it is going to affect breastfeeding. You'll probably see better results by starting to exercise more and phase in more healthy food choices. I don't think what should be a healthy lifestyle change and a positive thing should put pressure on your breastfeeding relationship with your daughter.

If you are happy to continue breastfeeding then I wouldn't try this. As someone else said, there are other, healthier, proven ways to lose weight, if that's a focus for you. Even Weight Watchers and Slimming World can produce a plan for you that will support breastfeeding. Or you could try this supplement in a year's time, or whenever you are ready to end breastfeeding. That way you get to check out your sister and your mum's results first!

I wouldn't. Many herbs have additional effects that may be detrimental to your supply. Since it's not studied you don't know if it is passed on through your milk, and how much.

I would start a healthy meal plan and regular exercise for weight reduction before supplementation. I'm not a fan of "diet" plans because I feel they are ineffective long term, and set you up for failure.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to spend the money on a nutritionist consultation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->