Toys for newborns

Ruth2013

Reaction score
Hi All

Im not sure if this is in the right forum etc, but I wondered ..... what toys have you/will you be buying for your newborn?

I am going shopping tomorrow for all things baby! and have realised I havent thought about toys - do they need anything etc?

xx

Im getting nervous now! - 5 weeks left till baby arrives!

I have a bouncer and a matt with little toys that hang down for him. A new born wont really need much but as they get bigger and start doing more you can have things for them to sit in and wheel themselfs around. My mum brought a coupke of teddys and a comforter

Newborns don't really play with anything at all. It will be several weeks before they can even put their hand out to touch a toy. They tend to be fascinated by bright pictures or busy patterned wallpaper. As pp said, a mat with dangly toys or a mobile or something is usually the best first toy xxx

We have some toys but realise she won't interact with them for a while.

We have a couple of Lamaze bits, one is Mittens the Kitten which was an Xmas present and it has nice striped black and white feet, so hopefully she'll like looking at that early, then once she can see a bit more the rest is really bright colours, so he should stay interesting for a while.

The two toys I bought her that I will show her as a newborn are a little Lamaze bug who is mainly black and white:

https://babyhuddle.com/site_media/media/product_images/f1/lamaze-high-contrast-flip-flop-bug-rattle_1.jpg

And also Sophie le Giraffe and she's nice contrasting colours and it was the first toy we ever bought her as I always knew when I finally got pregnant wanted to get my baby it.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oF8hwRAgwpQ/T3_Q_xGkIUI/AAAAAAAACWM/9r4IW_8mb0A/s1600/medscaleSophie_the_Giraffe_Hi_Res%5B1%5D.gif

We also have a mat with dangly bits and a bouncy chair with dangle bits too.. Also some blacks nd white books which she might like quite soon.

Around 3 months is when my DD started "using " toys. I found myself shaking a Lamaze peacock when she needed distractions. Bright crinkly toys were definitely a hit!

I find people can spend way to much on toys and they don't use half of them, i've got her a play mat/gym that has rattles and toys hanging down and a chair that vibrates and plays music and also has toys hanging down (lucky thing get a massage, i wouldn't mind one myself ha! :p) might get her a minnie mouse rattle I've seen for when shes not in the play gym or chair and shes bored, i duno lol! she has a comfort blanket and some cuddly toys But that will definitely last her up until Christmas where i'm sure people will be buying her toys then hehe! xD For a newborn they don't really need toys, just rattles and that.

a mat to lay on with bright toys that hang down to look at :) really not much else.. maybe a mirror in the crib a bit later

OMG I totally bought the little bug yesterday! So cute!

One of these black and white books is a must! It's amazing what they focus on. My daughter loved them from a few months old..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-White-Tana-Hoban/dp/0061172111/ref=pd_sim_b_6/276-9344373-7125464

I have a mobile attached to the cot (that also rotates when plays music) and I will also get a hanging mobile to hang high above the change mat (my DD loved hers). A swing for LO to sit in and also a low rocker (probably a little overboard but the swing is quite large and is perfect for the lounge room and the lower rocker is transportable). So these things are more for comfort and things to look at rather than play with. A activity mat I found important for tummy time. I found the first 'toy' my DD played with (maybe couple months old) was just rings that were linked together. Something simple she could grasp and bring to her mouth.
Also books! We started reading to DD when she was only a couple of weeks old, and it was very calming to have that routine. She loved the bright pictures too. Happy shopping!

I have a bouncer with toys dangling off toy bar, a swing with toys dangling and play mat with dangling toys. Also a mobile over the cot. I also have a musical teddy in the crib as the mobile from cot doesnt fit and i have a teddy that his big brother picked for him to have when hes born.

The most developed senses at birth are smell and hearing. Get something with good tunes, white noise, etc. Something that won't drive you nuts and the baby can enjoy. Vision is the least developed at birth, so the black and white toys (high contrast) are what they can see best at first. Babies begin to learn by touching/grasping various textures and then putting items into their mouth to taste them. Because they stick so much stuff into their mouth, I try to get non-toxic plastic or wooden toys. You'd be surprised how many baby toys out there are iffy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->