Transfer rates for non-first timers?

aliss

Reaction score
I've been reading the majority (60%??) of home to hospital transfers are first-timers for pain relief, does anyone know what the transfer rate is like for non-first time mothers? And why?

I don't have much longer left and I'm bricking it :cry: I really don't want to go back to the hospital.

Aw I don't have any statistics but my frst birth was completely medicated (induction, epidural, etc) and my second birth was completely natural at home NO pain meds of any type and didn't even think about transferring.

Thank you!! That is very inspiring as my first was also Pitocin induction with epi and all that other crap you probably went through and decided to HB next time, LOL!

I've got stats from the practice I go to...

Of 229 clients... 88 primipara and 141 multipara.
Of the primipara - 14% transfer rate
Of the multipara - less than 3% transfer rate!

In my area the stats are between 1-15% of multips will transfer. i.e. not many will! :)

Thanks girls!! Any idea as to why? I wonder if there are more details (ie. are they VBACs, pain relief transfer, personal choice, etc)

My info didn't give that, sorry. Try not to worry about the possibility of transfer. The more you worry, the more tense you are likely to be, and that's always going to have a negative impact on labour.

Transfer rates for non-first timers is pretty low. Depending on where you live is how they'll vary. For my MW it is less than 1% for second+ timers. For first timers it's like 6% and 4% of that is for pain relief and the other 2% is for extended labors or non-emergent complications that they decide to go in for. For my MW her rates for second+ timers is for slow labor and things like that.

You're right you're right... I know that anxiety certainly doesn't help. My 1st was a very traumatic hospital birth and I'm still not 100% okay (2.5 years). I have very little time to go now and even with a midwife/homebirth/doula and all that jazz set up, I just have that lingering fear. Will go re-read my Ina May :)

NM: Less than 1%... very impressive! Home births are extremely rare here (only recently legalized) so there aren't any statistics to be given. In fact, the birthing centre (for a 40km radius in major suburb) only opened yesterday afternoon - all midwives were in the hospitals. I am only the 3rd or 4th home birth in this catchment area ever.

Oh hon, have a BIG hug - not that it will make your experience any better ;)
Go read Ina May, and if you can try to do a hypnotherapy release session, that can be fantastic at letting go of all the nasties that linger on and come back to bite when we are at our most vunerable.

hi after the birth of my first daughter 18 years ago, which was in hospital lasted 36 hours, was pushed around, told what i could or couldn't do, ended up with lots of pain relief, episiotomy, i decided when i became pregnant again 5 years ago i would have a home birth and it was the best decision i have ever made. the birth was perfect, relaxing i felt in control and ended up with a little graze, i am not going to lie to you and tell you it was pain free but being in your own home helps as you can do what you want walk around, pace the house, have a bath and try and distract yourself from the pain. 7 months ago i had my third daughter at home again and once again another perfect birth and fantastic midwives, i am pregnant again !!! and once again i will aim for a home birth. have confidence in yourself, you can do this and you will be so rewarded tucked up in your own bed with your beautiful baby x

I can't believe they would be transferred for pain. I honestly had no idea I was in active labor (was induced with Cytotec last). They told me I would have some cramps and I thought that's what it was. I was 2 cm when they checked me and put in more Cytotec and after that is the only time I had pain. 2 hours later I was delivering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->