Transition to bottle... HELP!

runawayface

Reaction score
I have an 8 week old who has been exclusively breastfeeding since birth and she took to it like a pro. We never had any issues with breastfeeding and she seemed to take to it naturally (yes, I realize how extremely lucky I am for that!). Anyway, I remembered reading that, if a bottle with pumped milk needed to be introduced, it should be done at 6 weeks once breastfeeding had been well-established to avoid nipple confusion. Well, I decided to try her out with a bottle at 5 weeks since breastfeeding was going so well and she took that like a champ as well. I couldn't believe my good luck.

Since I had no need for her to have a bottle for the following two weeks (we were never apart in that time), I didn't give her another bottle, I just assumed that she was okay with them. :dohh: BIG mistake. At 7 weeks, I decided to give her another bottle since I wanted to prepare her for being baby-sat at Grandma's house without me there and when I tried the bottle again, she flat out REFUSED it.

Now pretty much every day this week I have attempted it and she is just not having it. I've read a ton of articles with advice and tried just about everything I can think of and nothing is working... she still SCREAMS her head off every time I try and it ends in Mommy crying, Baby crying, and back to breastfeeding. I don't know what else to do! I really want to get her used to bottles for times when I can't be there with her but nothing I do seems to work. Is she still just too young for this? Should I try again when she's a little older? Keep trying and trying until she's finally so hungry she gives in? Has anyone else had experience with this that can offer advice?!?!

I have no personal experience of this and you may well have tried this too - but I've heard that if you can find a teat which most closely resembles your own nipples you will have an easier time of it.

My son hated taking a bottle from me. He wanted boob instead. So I got my dh to give him the first couple and it went great. Do you have a partner that can give the bottle for you? It's a bit of a tease if you think about how close they are to the boob they so desperately want lol

Also, I know letting them get really hungry in order to take a bottle sounds logical, but the more upset baby gets, I found the less likely he is to take the bottle and wanted comfort by nursing, so I personally don't think that's the way to go :)

How strange that she took it once and then refused! Frustrating for you.

I have no experience yet but..

I was wondering if you'd looked into the Medela Calma teats? They are designed to make going between breast, bottle and back easier (supposedly!) by making the baby use the same action with their jaw to get the milk out as when breastfeeding. I think there are other bottles made with a similar idea but I've bought some of the Calma ones, haven't tried them yet!

Hope you can make it work :hugs:

Medela have softy teats I would try her with those. Also try her when she is hungry like first thing in morning or after a long sleep. Make sure it's someone else who gives the bottle so she can't smell your milk.

If she took the bottle already, don't worry about purchasing another bottle just yet. As pp have said, you will have to get someone else to do it and you will need to leave the house to start with. Your LO has a preference for breast and having it sitting right there while you offer something they don't prefer is not going to work!! My LO takes the bottle from both my DH and my mum but not from me. I get the screaming and crying and refusal, but they get a mildly unhappy but okay babe who will take a bottle!!:wacko:

This of course doesn't help me as a SAHM who needs to transition for health reasons.

I agree with maxy1. Leave the room while someone else gives the bottle. If you can't, give a bit from your breast then use the bottle. You will know LO isn't starving and I found it helped my LO take it from the bottle in my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->