Transverse baby, what happens after 36weeks scan (UK)

Iren_iren

Reaction score
Hi ladies!
I like to be prepared in advance, but little lady is transverse (and been so on all scans) and its hard to predict if i will have normal delivery in the end or C-section

My son was firmly head down from 28weeks, now i am 31weeks and she is either transverse or transverse with little angle

Midwife told me if she wont move, they'll do scan at 36 weeks.

So what happens after that?
If she is transverse would they schedule a C section? What if she turns like on the day of it? Do they normally do scan again?

The last thing i want is to go into labour and half way have ECS, so just wanted to get options on what is possible and what i can insist on.

Thanks

P.S. Do you pack something different in your hospital bag if you know you'll have C-section? I was thinking to get things ready in next few weeks

My baby was head down until last week and is now more transverse. I've been told that unless he goes fully transverse it should be fine to deliver from this position. I have a further scan at 36 weeks, mainly for growth but also the check position.

If she's still transverse after the 36 week scan, I would assume they'd schedule a c-section as a natural birth isn't possible with a transverse baby. However, they'll double check the baby's position before operating and if she has gone head down, they'd cancel it. That's what happened with my sister when my nephew was breech.

My LB was transverse throughout my pregnancy and turned at 37 weeks. I went into hospital with reduced movements 2 days later and was induced. However, the following morning, I asked them to double check his position and he switched to breech. My induction was immediately stopped and I was scheduled in for a c-section, although it ended in a EMCS for other reasons.

My son was breech and transverse until about 36 weeks when I finally managed to convince him to go head down and there he stayed so your little lady still has time to move :thumbup:

My baby was transverse at 34 week scan, consultant told me that if still transverse at 36 weeks they would attempt ECV (if I agreed) and that if successful or turned itself natural birth is possible and if not it would be c-section. As it happens baby had turned itself at 36 week scan but now I've got to have the c-section anyway due to babys huge abdominal measurements...typical! There's apparently somethings you can do yourself to encourage turning - being on all fours or upside down, swimming, shining a torch?, frozen peas where babys head is, and possibly the most difficult in my opinion was to put your ironing board leaning from the floor onto your sofa and go upside down on it.

There's the option of an ECV if it's considered safe, if not (or if it's unsuccessful) it would probably be a planned c section... As others have said though, you would be scanned on the day to double/final check position again :)

My baby was head down until last week and is now more transverse. I've been told that unless he goes fully transverse it should be fine to deliver from this position. I have a further scan at 36 weeks, mainly for growth but also the check position.

Fine to deliver from what position? :) if she turns head down again or something in between?
Good luck for next scan!

If she's still transverse after the 36 week scan, I would assume they'd schedule a c-section as a natural birth isn't possible with a transverse baby. However, they'll double check the baby's position before operating and if she has gone head down, they'd cancel it. That's what happened with my sister when my nephew was breech.

My LB was transverse throughout my pregnancy and turned at 37 weeks. I went into hospital with reduced movements 2 days later and was induced. However, the following morning, I asked them to double check his position and he switched to breech. My induction was immediately stopped and I was scheduled in for a c-section, although it ended in a EMCS for other reasons.

Oh my...thats nerve wrecking! Getting ready to have baby that day and then be send home and prepare for another experience!
I did not know they can still turn that late as there is less room..i just hope she will make her mind in next week weeks and sticks to it
Thanks

My son was breech and transverse until about 36 weeks when I finally managed to convince him to go head down and there he stayed so your little lady still has time to move :thumbup:

Thanks! Any tips in how to convince baby :)
So far ive been sitting on my bouncing ball trying to position correctly

My baby was transverse at 34 week scan, consultant told me that if still transverse at 36 weeks they would attempt ECV (if I agreed) and that if successful or turned itself natural birth is possible and if not it would be c-section. As it happens baby had turned itself at 36 week scan but now I've got to have the c-section anyway due to babys huge abdominal measurements...typical! There's apparently somethings you can do yourself to encourage turning - being on all fours or upside down, swimming, shining a torch?, frozen peas where babys head is, and possibly the most difficult in my opinion was to put your ironing board leaning from the floor onto your sofa and go upside down on it.

Haha, ironing board on the floor and upside down haha.:) i can imagine that
Thanks for the tips
Hope your section goes well!

There's the option of an ECV if it's considered safe, if not (or if it's unsuccessful) it would probably be a planned c section... As others have said though, you would be scanned on the day to double/final check position again :)

Thanks! I think its more clear now! Really dont like the idea of last min changes, but i guess need to be ready for both!
C-section is usually scheduled around 39 weeks or it may vary?

Thanks! Any tips in how to convince baby :)
So far ive been sitting on my bouncing ball trying to position correctly

So what I did was the following:

- bouncing on my ball
- downward down type yoga position
- making sure I sat bolt upright when sitting not slouching at all
- also not crossing my legs at all (midwife said this :shrug:)

It seemed to work :shrug: also asking him to please turn around :haha:

I am lucky this time madam seems to have gone headdown (although hoping she still is at my appointment tomorrow :thumbup:)

Good luck

Thanks! I think its more clear now! Really dont like the idea of last min changes, but i guess need to be ready for both!
C-section is usually scheduled around 39 weeks or it may vary?

Yes it's usually 39+0 or over :)

This is what I have. https://spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/other-fetal-positions/oblique-lie/
Basically they can turn from this position in labour, if he doesn't do it before.

Haha, ironing board on the floor and upside down haha.:) i can imagine that
Thanks for the tips
Hope your section goes well!

Yes I found that hilarious as well, no idea how I'd have ever gotten into that position, if I did I don't think I'd make it back out of it haha.

Oh my...thats nerve wrecking! Getting ready to have baby that day and then be send home and prepare for another experience!
I did not know they can still turn that late as there is less room..i just hope she will make her mind in next week weeks and sticks to it
Thanks

I know! When we were told he was still transverse around the 33/34 week mark; going in for a c-section, then being sent home as baby had turned. Hopefully your LO will turn and it won't come to that. I've seen ladies on her whose babies have turned at 38/39 weeks, even during labour in some cases, so it's definitely possible for them to move later on. Good luck!

My 3rd was transverse and ended up an EMCS due to cord prolapse.

My 4th also was transverse (scary as hell with my history!), I have done Spinning Babies daily exercises, inversions, yoga poses, moxibustion, accupunture, accupressure, fitball, belly binding, scrubbed the tiled floors and skirtings, bought pulsatilla but didn't need to use it as baby was head down at 36 weeks:happydance:

I think what worked for me was the belly binding as I put on the band one night as suggested by a midwife in my VBAC group and that next morning baby was head down! Apparently the band holds baby in close to you -compensates for lax tummy muscles and in my case separated muscles-and encourages it to settle in a more comfy position. I wear my belly band 24/7 except for morning and night showers.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->