Treating Head lice

bubblychick

Mum of G & M
Reaction score
We discovered head lice I'm DDs hair the day before she went back to school after Christmas. We've treated her head with hedrin and full response combed conditioned and they're still there, they just won't budge, especially the tiny ones that slip straight between the nit comb bristles. Now DS has them so we've treated him but he just won't sit still long enough to comb them out, I'm itching non stop so I've probably got them now too. No idea how to deal with them.
When I head had them when I was younger it took one go with the solution and then cobi go them out.

Anyone know of anything I can use?

Luckily I haven't had to use it yet but I believe the nitty gritty comb is good, get aload of conditioner on there and just sit combing them out! With your ds could you just give him loads of snacks while you do it?

Did you do the second treatment on the right day?

I always do treatment number one followed by number 2 on the 7th day and a 3rd on the 14th day. I've never had them return when I've done this. My youngest is a nightmare and doesn't let me brush her hair anyway so I rarely manage to brush the bits out.

Are you treating the rest of the house and everyone else as well?

I dont know why people with lice and fleas only treat the one infected and nothing else but you MUST treat everything else!!!

Bedding, Car, Stuffed Animals, Couches, Carpet/rugs, hats, coats, etc.

We've never treated anything other than the people in the house and we've never had it reoccurring. Would definitely say that all the people in the house need treating even if it doesn't look as if they have them

Just wanted to add to that we have the apparently super nitty gritty comb and I don't actually think it works any better than the other cheaper ones I've got.

I dont know why people with lice and fleas only treat the one infected and nothing else but you MUST treat everything else!!!

I agree with this. Could be re- occurring because LO is getting from another item in the house.

I think the NHS website says you don't need to do this, as lice only survive a short time when not on a human head.

When Emma got lice I used Full Marks, but I hear the Nitty Gritty comb is brilliant! You do have to treat, then check a week later and treat again if more are lurking. This means you're killing them off before they lay any more eggs.

Retreat at least once and nit climb Every day for a week after treatment. No need to treat bedding etc but do change sheets etc every 3rd day at least. Tea tree is very good to atop them coming back ....my old boarding school matron did a weekly nit check and oil spritz lol

Retreat at least once and nit climb Every day for a week after treatment. No need to treat bedding etc but do change sheets etc every 3rd day at least. Tea tree is very good to atop them coming back ....my old boarding school matron did a weekly nit check and oil spritz lol

the eggs could be on the bedding and can survive.

Not if you wash at 60 and are changing minimum 3rd day.

My advice comes from years of boarding school. This is what matron did with all of us every time there was a case which was at least once a term.

The argument for not using treatment on beds, carpets etc still stands. They're completely different to fleas and require full contact to move about in adult form. If you're washing bed sheets and towels thoroughly the eggs and adults will die off.

Yes we've treated everyone in the house and my mums treated everyone in hers too (she was staying there when we discovered them) she hates you brushing her hair it's really fine and always getting tangled so getting them out is a nightmare. Yes it's hr 3rd treatment tomorrow and my 2nd. Really losing the will though.

Keep changing the bedding but washing it is hard I cant dry it cause it's been pretty much non stop rain or frost here.

Hi
Loads of Pantene conditioner (or other silicone conditioner, they can't hold on to the hair with it), nitty gritty comb. comb through once, wipe on tissue to check for the little buggers, repeat, repeat, repeat........
Good luck!

Thank you I'll give the conditioner another try, is the conditioner put on dry or wet hair?

They're awful aren't they. I've heard they can survive the lotion oitment stuff :nope:. Jacob keeps coming home with them. I think some parents must not be treating at school. I just keep combing his hair, once in the morning, once at night. Repeat repeat repeat. Hopefully they'll disappear soon!!

lots of cheap conditioner and keep combing - I once gave my son a grade 2 to get rid

They're awful aren't they - my daughter has waist length thick curly hair so combing through can literally take hours - i put a film or something on for her and she's 9 so understands etc, although doesn't like it! The middle one has shoulder length crazy hair so that isn't easy either but takes less time, but I have to do hers in the bath. I've tried the lotions, also tried natural remedies like vinegar, coconut stuff and baby oil (this was actually pretty good but took a few washes to get rid of the greasy look!). But basically I think the key is perserverance - comb, comb and comb again. We have the nitty gritty comb and I do think it is better than the cheap plastic ones but can still leave stubborn eggs so I tend to try and go through the hair and pick these out if I can!

It is not fun - we got until age 8 before having them, I was always dreading it but thought I might've struck lucky but we ended up just getting them with a vengeance!

Nitty gritty comb with loads of conditioner every other day and then tea tree spray onto dry hair for school.This is to deter them from going onto the childs head as they dislike how it smells.

Absolutely hate nits. We use hedrin and nitty gritty but yea its like a losing battle z

Finally got rid of them but they're still going round her school so they're back again, started washing her hair with the tea tree and spraying with the repellent so fingers crossed they stay away this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->