Trouble expressing

Jin

Unhinged Mummy of 3
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am EBF my six week old but am also expressing inbetween for freezer storage.

The thing is I seem to have plenty of milk for LO when I put her to the breast. She is on the 91st percentile, gaining 12oz a week and has plenty of wet and soiled nappies. Also she gulps, chokes and pulls back when feeding and my milk sprays everywhere (from both breasts) during let downso I am pretty sure I have plenty of milk. Even the Lactation consultant mentioned I must have loads of milk. However she does only seem to feed for five or ten minutes at a time but she is also a very sicky baby (pead mentioned she may have reflux)

Anyway, here is the weird thing. First thing in the morning I can express 3-4oz but only from 1 boob even though they are both full and leaking when I get up? The other boob I don't seem to be able to get any out. Throughout the rest of the day I can maybe express like 10ml at a time and that is usually only when I have baby on the opposit breast. Does anyone else have this problem? Btw, I have tried both an electric and a manuel breast pump.

Also lo feeds very little and often. She'll feed for about 5 mins and then sometimes she wants more 10 mins later. Sometimes she will take both breats but not very often. She will only take about an oz at a time with a bottle as well. Is this maybe why I am having trouble expressing? Could it be that my breasts have got used to only holding a small amount of milk at a time seeing as she only takes small amounts? Someone tols me to express when my boobs are full but they are never full because she feeds so often. They are only full after about 2 hours and for her to go 2 hours is very few and far between except at night.

Everything you mentioned is totally normal. I used to get more milk first thing in the morning whilst feeding off one side and then could barely get an oune the rest of the day no matter how full i felt.

Well while I wrote this she fell asleep and is still asleep and I just managed to express 2oz. Onlynfrom the right boob again though. It must just be because she is always emptying my breasts then while feeding little and often. Doesn't explain why I can only express from one boob though lol

Breast pumps aren't as effective at getting milk out as babies are. People respond very differently to pumps, but it's normal to not be able to pump as much as your baby would getting in a feed. It's definitely difficult getting anything out with a frequent feeder.

It's also normal to have one breast that produces more than the other. I used to get a lot more milk from one of my breasts and if I was away from my LO for hours at a time, it would be way bigger than the other one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->