• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trying for a year GP next week what can I expect?

sarah1980

Reaction score
That's a year now we have actively been TTC #2 I've not had AF for almost 9 months. I did go to the GP a few months ago but she said keep trying and come back once it's been a year! So now it's been a year I am going back next week and wondered if anyone could tell me what will actually happen? What help is available and will that come from my GP or will I have to wait for a referral to someone else?

Thanks, Sarah xxx

Hi Sarah,

I was just wondering - when you say you haven't had AF for 9 months does that mean you still don't or did it just start up again 3 months ago? Also are you still BF your LO?

If you aren't getting AF then I'm afraid I'm not sure what they do to make it start again so hopefully someone else could help you out with that.

If your periods have started again but only in the last few months it might just be a case of having to keep TTC as it might just take a bit longer this time.... How long did it take you to get pregnant with your first? I know that doesn't help but perhaps be prepared for the Dr to tell you that. If they do start initial testing they will most likely send you for a blood test to begin with and your DH for a Semen Analysis to make sure all is ok with him. Do you chart (take your BBT etc)? If not it might be worth starting to see if you can see a pattern in your cycles and see when you are ovulating and that you are ovulating. Sorry I can't be of more help just now but hopefully someone else can give you some other advice once you clear up the issue about AF.

Hopefully you get your BFP soon :hugs:

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry, my last period was 9 months ago!

I had my implant removed a year ago, had 3 normal periods and then nothing since.

I had been charting but with this cycle 197 days long now I've given up on that :(

Sarah xxx

How frustrating!!! I wish I could help you more but unfortunately I have no idea what they do when you don't have your period. I know there must be something they can do to help you so I'm sure it will be a productive appt. Let us know how it goes :hugs:

How frustrating!!! I wish I could help you more but unfortunately I have no idea what they do when you don't have your period. I know there must be something they can do to help you so I'm sure it will be a productive appt. Let us know how it goes :hugs:

Thanks, I will do :)

Sarah xxx

Hey ladies

I'm in a similar situation so I will share my story so far if that's ok?

Me and OH have a 2 year old, we conceived him on our 2nd cycle I believe, I was never on any birth control prior to that, anyways when my son was 10 months old I stupidly decided to get depo provera as things were bit difficult with LO and I just couldn't see myself pregnant so soon so decided to wait, OH was against me going on bc as he was afraid it would ruin my body, we had a lot of disagreement but in the end he agreed on me taking pills for a bit, instead I got depo :(

Anyways first shot was November 2012, I was due 2nd shot in February but after reading the horror stories about depo I decided to not go back and just wait for my body to get back to normal and hopefully try for another, 9 whole months went by when finally I got a period (August 2013) then my AF was messed up and finally regulated in December 2013, ever since then I've been regular but we still haven't conceived!

In April just gone my AF came on time but I bled longer than usual so took a tested and got BFP, after getting bloods taken it was confirmed that I had an early miscarriage :(

Anyways it's now almost coming to a year since AF returned after depo and will be 2 YEARS since I got ONE depo shot, I really didn't imagine it taking this long, I can't talk about this with OH as he always gets angry about it and blames me for ruining my body.

I finally decided to call the gp and they've made an appointment for Tuesday but I feel like maybe I shouldn't have? The receptionist asked me if OH is registered with the gp too, does he have to come with me to the appointment? I don't think he wants to hear any of this and I feel like I made a mistake calling the gp.

What do you think I should do? Do I fit the time frame in which you should visit the dr about struggling to conceive?

Sarah I'd guess the first thing they will do is bloods to check your hormones, thyroid etc. Given you've had the injection they might tell you to give it more time but I'm guessing.

I'd take DH with you enables them to see a united front and means they can ask for SA etc. My first GP wanted SA results from DH before he'd refer me. As it was I conceived DS before I go referred. This time we went in together and got referred without too much hassle.

Hey ladies

I'm in a similar situation so I will share my story so far if that's ok?

Me and OH have a 2 year old, we conceived him on our 2nd cycle I believe, I was never on any birth control prior to that, anyways when my son was 10 months old I stupidly decided to get depo provera as things were bit difficult with LO and I just couldn't see myself pregnant so soon so decided to wait, OH was against me going on bc as he was afraid it would ruin my body, we had a lot of disagreement but in the end he agreed on me taking pills for a bit, instead I got depo :(

Anyways first shot was November 2012, I was due 2nd shot in February but after reading the horror stories about depo I decided to not go back and just wait for my body to get back to normal and hopefully try for another, 9 whole months went by when finally I got a period (August 2013) then my AF was messed up and finally regulated in December 2013, ever since then I've been regular but we still haven't conceived!

In April just gone my AF came on time but I bled longer than usual so took a tested and got BFP, after getting bloods taken it was confirmed that I had an early miscarriage :(

Anyways it's now almost coming to a year since AF returned after depo and will be 2 YEARS since I got ONE depo shot, I really didn't imagine it taking this long, I can't talk about this with OH as he always gets angry about it and blames me for ruining my body.

I finally decided to call the gp and they've made an appointment for Tuesday but I feel like maybe I shouldn't have? The receptionist asked me if OH is registered with the gp too, does he have to come with me to the appointment? I don't think he wants to hear any of this and I feel like I made a mistake calling the gp.

What do you think I should do? Do I fit the time frame in which you should visit the dr about struggling to conceive?

Thanks for your reply! I too had the depo injection, many years ago now and it took almost 18 months for me to have a period again after it! I swore I'd never have it again! I know that doesn't help but after that I went on to fall pg twice. One ended in mc but that wasn't related to the depo as far as I'm aware. So fx you will be the same!

I think speaking to your gp is a good start, they will be able to set your mind at ease if nothing else. Good luck! Sarah xxx

Sarah I'd guess the first thing they will do is bloods to check your hormones, thyroid etc. Given you've had the injection they might tell you to give it more time but I'm guessing.

I'd take DH with you enables them to see a united front and means they can ask for SA etc. My first GP wanted SA results from DH before he'd refer me. As it was I conceived DS before I go referred. This time we went in together and got referred without too much hassle.

Thanks tommyg! It was the PP that had the injection, I had the implant but much the same thing I suppose!

Can I ask did your GP do any tests or did they refer you and everything was done at a fertility/gynae clinic?

Thanks, Sarah xxx

The first time I was going to be referred they did bloods, and wanted a SA from DH which we'd just got before I feel pregnant.
The second time (different GP) wanted bloods including 21 day bloods which they managed to get buy chance rather than planning. They never asked for SA but I'd taken DH with me to the appointment and we are now in the same practice so they could access his records if they wanted to.

TBH I think half the reason they ask for SA is to be sure that BOTH partners want help and not just the lady. My first appointment at the clinic they wanted DH to be there too and he had to make his appointment for SA.

The first time I was going to be referred they did bloods, and wanted a SA from DH which we'd just got before I feel pregnant.
The second time (different GP) wanted bloods including 21 day bloods which they managed to get buy chance rather than planning. They never asked for SA but I'd taken DH with me to the appointment and we are now in the same practice so they could access his records if they wanted to.

TBH I think half the reason they ask for SA is to be sure that BOTH partners want help and not just the lady. My first appointment at the clinic they wanted DH to be there too and he had to make his appointment for SA.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Tbh I'm not so worried about not being pregnant but I am worried about my lack of AF! Which is obviously WHY I'm not pg. Can I ask, were you having AF when you went to see your GP?

I actually have my appointment in the morning, I'm just hoping I don't get sent away without any help again!

Sarah xxx

I've always been mildly pcos, so anything between 5 & 12 weeks is normal for me. Which makes timing difficult and I've since found out egg quality poor.

Some GP will give clomid but in my area most will refer to FS. Who take their time doing testing. You are as well to get SA, blood tests, and your tubes checked out before you start treatment. If you read around the forum you'll find ladies who have spent 6 months on clomid only to find out later it was never going to work for them as their tubes are blocked.

Word of warning not all areas will give free treatment for second child. I'm lucky to be in an area where I can get IUI but they won't give me IVF.

I've always been mildly pcos, so anything between 5 & 12 weeks is normal for me. Which makes timing difficult and I've since found out egg quality poor.

Some GP will give clomid but in my area most will refer to FS. Who take their time doing testing. You are as well to get SA, blood tests, and your tubes checked out before you start treatment. If you read around the forum you'll find ladies who have spent 6 months on clomid only to find out later it was never going to work for them as their tubes are blocked.

Word of warning not all areas will give free treatment for second child. I'm lucky to be in an area where I can get IUI but they won't give me IVF.

Thanks tommyg. She took bloods today and said little more than let's just wait and see what they say which I'm happy with as I suppose what way to go largely depends on the results. I do suspect I may have pcos, and my moustache is starting to rival dh's! She did mention that I may be referred to assisted conception unit but didn't say much more than that. I'm under NHS Tayside I have no idea where they stand on offering treatment.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :hugs:

Sarah xxx

Glad it went ok. Given the lenght of time the NHS take when it comes to fertility I'd push for a referral when you go back for your blood results. I sort of gave my GP the option of refer me to a gyni to find out why my cycle is so irregular or for fertility treatment!!! I was getting the vibes she was going to tell me to try a bit longer, Although I was asking for a referral after just 6 mths on both occasions. I knew the fertility unit take their time and I don't really have time on my side now 39. From the point of referral to getting letrozole (similar to clomid) took 11 mths.

I'm lanarkshire so I'd guess Tayside will have similar polices, no IVF but ok with everything else.

Glad it went ok. Given the lenght of time the NHS take when it comes to fertility I'd push for a referral when you go back for your blood results. I sort of gave my GP the option of refer me to a gyni to find out why my cycle is so irregular or for fertility treatment!!! I was getting the vibes she was going to tell me to try a bit longer, Although I was asking for a referral after just 6 mths on both occasions. I knew the fertility unit take their time and I don't really have time on my side now 39. From the point of referral to getting letrozole (similar to clomid) took 11 mths.

I'm lanarkshire so I'd guess Tayside will have similar polices, no IVF but ok with everything else.

Yeah the first GP I saw in my practice was like that, just keep trying! Well that's completely pointless if I'm not ovulating! :shrug:

I found their website but it's not clear whether they fund treatment or not. Their criteria for treatment excludes anyone who already has a child but whether or not that includes clomid etc, I'm not sure. I'm hoping that the fact that the GP mentioned a possible referral means that they do fund treatment but I suppose I will find out soon.

Sarah xxx

I'd go with the referral and see what happens we were told at our first appointment what the limit would but even if there is a limit they will save you a fortune on tests etc.
At one point getting frustrated with the wait we looked at going private and it was the unknown costs of scans that scared me I think the private scans were £125 each my first round of letrozole / femara I had about 5 scans, round 3 which they wanted to monitor too was 6 or 7 scans. So while the cost of clomid isn't expensive the cost of scans can mount.

If you want to join the over 35 trying for 18mth support thread please feel free. Don't worry about the age or lenght of time trying. We are a lovely bunch who care and understand what each other are going through.

I'd go with the referral and see what happens we were told at our first appointment what the limit would but even if there is a limit they will save you a fortune on tests etc.
At one point getting frustrated with the wait we looked at going private and it was the unknown costs of scans that scared me I think the private scans were £125 each my first round of letrozole / femara I had about 5 scans, round 3 which they wanted to monitor too was 6 or 7 scans. So while the cost of clomid isn't expensive the cost of scans can mount.

If you want to join the over 35 trying for 18mth support thread please feel free. Don't worry about the age or lenght of time trying. We are a lovely bunch who care and understand what each other are going through.

Thanks, I'll pop over and join, I'm not for away from either!

Got my bloods tests results today, all are normal although I'm not entirely sure what was tested for! So I have another appointment this evening to discuss so I will update later.
Sarah xxx

Well blood tests were normal so the GP is sending me for a scan, however she has said that although she could refer me to ACU it would be private as they don't fund anything here.

Would your GP be prepared to give you clomid without being monitored?
I personally wouldn't do it for months and months without proper testing but I would be willing to give it a go for 3 months and see what happens. Clomid itself is quite cheap it's the testing and stuff that goes with it that costs the money.

Recently I saw one of the NHS trusts down south have halved their waiting list by giving everybody 3 mths of clomid before they do any further testing.

Would your GP be prepared to give you clomid without being monitored?
I personally wouldn't do it for months and months without proper testing but I would be willing to give it a go for 3 months and see what happens. Clomid itself is quite cheap it's the testing and stuff that goes with it that costs the money.

Recently I saw one of the NHS trusts down south have halved their waiting list by giving everybody 3 mths of clomid before they do any further testing.

Yeah I'd be quite happy to give it a try for a few months but I did ask that and she said I would need to be seen by the ACU first then they may be able to prescribe clomid after that. :shrug:

So now I'm looking into natural ways to try and induce ovulation while I wait to see what happens.

Sarah xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->