trying not to shout!

ukgirl23

Pregnant with a rainbow
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a mum of 3, Luke who is 6, Connie who is 8 and Ben who is 1, I am on my own a lot during the day as the OH works long hours right into the evening and I'm finding it hard not to shout. My kids are lovely, I home school them myself so we are together a lot. Connie loves to wind up her brother Luke by saying things to upset him, taking his toy or going on his saved games on the xbox. Ben is a toddler and you are all aware of how much work toddlers are! Lucas has a very short temper and shouts instantly if he dislikes something. I'm trying to lead by example and remain calm when they are being naughty, trying not to use time outs or shout and instead explain to them what they are doing wrong but I'm so tired and frustrated that by the end of the day we are all shouting at each other. Lucas refuses to eat anything I make him and if on the off chance he enjoys a meal I've made the next time I make it he'll hate it. Tonight I made soup he's only had bread.... it's so difficult and frustrating. We have baby sitters and we get some good one on one time, me and my OH but when I'm with the kids I'm just struggling to keep my cool. Does anyone have any coping tips?? I would be grateful for some friendly advice. :blush:

Gosh, I am with you :)
I also homeschool! This summer has been so hard. I guess the lack of structure in our day, camps, activities, vacations etc. has really turned my kiddos into little monsters (and one turned into a teenager overnight, whew, it's exhausting dealing with that!)

Anyways, I find that I've been shouting a lot too, and I don't like it. We will start school on Aug 11 and then I'll implement our new schedule, which I know helps tremendously.

I am planning on doing a few things to keep everyone in line:

1) I will start my day with some quiet time where I'll pray and read scriptures. I really think that will calm me & prepare me for the rest of the day.

2) the moment someone breaks a rule (saying something mean, being aggravating, moaning or whining, bad attitude, yelling, etc.) I will send them off to complete a chore. No discussion.
Then, on a chart on the fridge, I will put a tally mark by that child's name. If they get 5 or more during the week, no tv/video game/cell phone on the weekend.

3) no cell phone, tv or video games Sun. 5pm - Fri. 5pm.

Also, I try to remember that getting mad and how I act on it, is a choice. I think to myself, "Just breathe and handle it as if someone is watching" (mother in law, neighbor, something like that lol).

I don't know if any of that will help, your kiddos are a bit younger than mine, but maybe it'll give you an idea :)
As for the eating, they'll eat when they're hungry, right?...easier said than done I'm sure...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->